Get Off Your Seat and Move Your Feet | Teen Ink

Get Off Your Seat and Move Your Feet

By Kailey Aiona BRONZE, Hilo, Hawaii
Kailey Aiona BRONZE, Hilo, Hawaii

Inactivity is a dangerous epidemic in America today. A large amount of teenagers in the world are physically inactive. But this problem doesn’t only affect teenagers; it ranges for people of all ages, children, teenagers and adults. While it may seem like an unimportant issue, it can actually be fatal. Inactiveness can cause an increased chance of multiple diseases or illnesses that can kill people of any age. The one true cure for inactivity is for teens are to become more active. Being active benefits everyone and helps prevent the dangers of being inactive. There are also very simple ways to exercise, and even some fun ways. Because of the multiple ways inactiveness can harm human beings and its frequency throughout the world, inactivity is an immensely important issue.
Being inactive can harm the human body in many ways. If you are inactive, then your body may not function as properly as someone who is active. Illnesses such as high cholesterol, weak bones, colon cancer, obesity, and gallstones are more common when you’re inactive. When you’re inactive, your blood flow usually tends to be rather impaired, increasing the chance for high cholesterol. Because inactive people move around less, their bones are also generally weaker from the lack of nourishment exercise gives them. The waste your body creates also takes longer to pass through the colon if you’re inactive, causing a more likely chance for colon cancer or gallstones. Inactive people also run twice the chance of being obese because they don’t burn the calories they take in. These illnesses are all increased or caused by inactiveness, but could have been prevented by exercise or physical activity.
Physical activity is an important part of everyday lives. Everyone needs to be physically active to be able to function properly throughout the day. Physical activity also helps prevent illnesses such as hypertension, high cholesterol, weak bones, obesity, and depression or anxiety. Exercise makes the heart stronger so it can pump blood more efficiently, helping prevent hypertension. Being active and exercising also helps lower your cholesterol. People who exercise have strong, more capable bones. Exercise also helps you burn the calories you take in, preventing obesity. Chemicals released in your brain while exercising also put you in a better mood and reduce stress. Being active can only help you and your health. Even if you only exercise an hour a day, you will already begin to feel more health and happy.
Being active or exercising doesn’t have to be hard. There are simple ways for you to exercise. Go on a walk or run. Running and walking are simple and easy forms of exercising. Running for a mile or two can help you burn calories. If you don’t like running, you could walk for the same distance and still burn plenty of calories. Play a sport. Sports are a fun way to exercise. During games or practices, whether you are running or catching a ball, you are exercising. Almost every sport includes the usage of some sort of muscle, which would be exercising. If you are looking to do a lot of exercise, you can join a cross fit gym. Most cross fit gyms help both teenagers and adults exercise, and stay in shape.
Being inactive is an important issue in America. It affects people of all ages, and is very common. Being inactive can increase the chances to get multiple illnesses and can be fatal. Even though it is such a large problem, it can be fixed by physical activity. Exercising doesn’t have to be hard, it can some times be really easy! People and organizations such as Michelle Obama and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention all agree about the dangers of being inactive. The side effects of being inactive are too great, it’s time for America to get off their seat and move their feet!