The Follower | Teen Ink

The Follower MAG

November 7, 2008
By Anonymous

Why did I go on a bike ride that day? Oh, that’s right – I was stupid. Despite the fact that it was supposed to storm, and that riding a bike in lightning is not a bright idea, I put the kickstand up and my wheels turned on the gravel. I sped onto the slippery, wet road.

Overprotective parents are usually taken for granted. It always seems as though they are stopping us from doing what we want. Then we get mad and end up doing stupid things that almost get us killed … but back to that day when my ignorance got the best of me.

The houses whizzed by, and the storm clouds grew in the west. No cars passed me. I checked the time on my phone: 3:21 p.m. My parents had said to be back by 3:15, but I kept riding as the storm approached.

When I finally decided to turn around and go home, a red truck caught my eye. I pulled to the side of the road to let it pass, but when I looked back it wasn’t there. I continued on my way home but soon heard another car approaching. When I looked, I spotted the same red truck. I glared at the driver, who quickly pulled into a driveway. My body tensed. The next time I looked back and saw the red truck trailing me, I went into a panic. I started pedaling furiously. When I looked again, the driver again pulled into a driveway. My heart pounded rapidly. Someone was actually following me!

The rain started pelting my back, and lightning flashed. I moved my legs faster, pedaling vigorously. When I finally got to my driveway, I hid behind some trees. The red truck drove by very slowly, then stopped at the bridge. The door opened and a man got out. My heart dropped to my knees with fright. The man stepped to both sides of the road and looked in the ditches. He was looking for me.

Now when my parents prohibit me from going places, I may yell and get upset, but deep inside I know they say “No” for a reason. I have learned not to take their rules for granted. I love being safe.