The Follower | Teen Ink

The Follower MAG

Why did I go on a bike ride that day? Oh, that’s right – I was stupid. Despite the fact that it was supposed to storm, and that riding a bike in lightning is not a bright idea, I put the kickstand up and my wheels turned on the gravel. I sped onto the slippery, wet road.

Overprotective parents are usually taken for granted. It always seems as though they are stopping us from doing what we want. Then we get mad and end up doing stupid things that almost get us killed … but back to that day when my ignorance got the best of me.

The houses whizzed by, and the storm clouds grew in the west. No cars passed me. I checked the time on my phone: 3:21 p.m. My parents had said to be back by 3:15, but I kept riding as the storm approached.

When I finally decided to turn around and go home, a red truck caught my eye. I pulled to the side of the road to let it pass, but when I looked back it wasn’t there. I continued on my way home but soon heard another car approaching. When I looked, I spotted the same red truck. I glared at the driver, who quickly pulled into a driveway. My body tensed. The next time I looked back and saw the red truck trailing me, I went into a panic. I started pedaling furiously. When I looked again, the driver again pulled into a driveway. My heart pounded rapidly. Someone was actually following me!

The rain started pelting my back, and lightning flashed. I moved my legs faster, pedaling vigorously. When I finally got to my driveway, I hid behind some trees. The red truck drove by very slowly, then stopped at the bridge. The door opened and a man got out. My heart dropped to my knees with fright. The man stepped to both sides of the road and looked in the ditches. He was looking for me.

Now when my parents prohibit me from going places, I may yell and get upset, but deep inside I know they say “No” for a reason. I have learned not to take their rules for granted. I love being safe.

on Jun. 22 2009 at 2:50 am
LoveLikeWoe DIAMOND, LeSueur, MN, Minnesota

Whoever laughs first has the sickest mind.

nice. Me and my friend were stalked once. It was scary. There was a guy in a blue car following us.

on Mar. 13 2009 at 11:39 pm
Son`ador SILVER, Hamilton, Other

"We all mess up sometimes,but if we make a conscious effort to do good more times than not, we'll be doing life right."
Stephanie Perry Moore

Life sucks, and then you die!!
-Anonymous-

soo what happend with you and the STALKER, OR KIDNAPPER.

on Feb. 4 2009 at 3:25 am
alrighty, where do i even start? first of all, you've got a decent story here. but i think there's one point that's being missed slightly. just because this happened doesnt mean it will always happen. you can take risks and be safe. this article implies that being safe is always best and while i think that you shouldnt put yourself in harms way purposefully, you shouldnt live in fear of what could happen. that said, you were there so im sure you know best. very nice. :)

q45mn,dgnjkd said...
on Jan. 29 2009 at 5:48 pm
I really like these kinds of stories. They make me want to be more careful!!