Not Only in my Dreams | Teen Ink

Not Only in my Dreams

My footsteps are drowned out by the beat of the drums and the strum of the guitars. Three people lead me into the room with the star on the door. They sit me down on a chair and go to work on my appearance. Makeup brushes fly across my face and combs glide down my just-straightened hair. Bright red paint is brushed onto my nails. Time is ticking away; the crowd is waiting.

The warm-up band belts out their final note and the sounds of my walk are drowned out by the screams and whistles of the crowd. I stand just behind the black, velvet curtain. The cheering becomes louder and I hear someone say, "You're on in 30 seconds."

30 seconds and counting until those glorious stage lights hit my face. While I'm popping my knuckles and clearing my throat, a bellowing voice calls out, "And now, ladies and gentlemen, the moment you've all been waiting for! Alyssa Strower!"
27 seconds have passed. The crowd counts down, "Three! Two! One!"

The velvety mass is lifted and my heart starts pounding. The music starts; I walk to the microphone. I can feel the pulse of the music through my bones. I can't believe I'm finally on stage living my dream. The exhilaration of everything forces my eyes shut. I squeeze them tight hoping that when I open them, I am still on stage. I pry my eyes open. My messy hair and clean face lie against an old pillow. A tear slides down my face and I wipe it with my T-shirt.

It was just a dream. I reluctantly roll out of bed and stumble to my door. Twisting the door knob, I walk out of my room with the star on the door.

egr60 said...
on Nov. 12 2008 at 1:12 pm
Wish I could write and imagine like that.