What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up? | Teen Ink

What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

October 27, 2008
By Anonymous

Last year someone asked me a question that I couldn’t answer. What do you want to be when you grow up? I hated when people asked me that question because it reminded me that I am so close to the age where I need to decide. Actually I’m at that age. I’ll be a senior next year and that’s not very far away. I need to decide what college I want to go to, how will I pay for everything, and most important what I want to do for the rest of my life. I’ll I knew is that I wanted to go to college because a good education is important to me. I want to be somebody, do something, change the world, save some lives.
I don’t have any special talents, I defiantly cannot handle the sight of blood, science just isn’t my thing, and I can’t teach anything worth my life. How can I change someone’s life or change the world without being a neurosurgeon, or a Nobel Prize winner for best science discovery?
A few months ago I was flipping through the TV channels and ended up stopping on the Discovery Channel. There was a special episode on big cities. The engineers, who helped make some of the huge buildings and bridges, were telling how they came up with their designs for the vast tall skyscrapers and the monstrous bridges, and why they chose to do it that way. I was amazed. I sat there thinking for awhile, and I learned how to answer my searching questions I’ve had. I want to be an architect.
Architects can change the world in so many ways. I can come up with improved ways for creating large structural objects that can be used for world benefits. I could make buildings more secure and stable so it could stand up to natural disasters or other outside attacks. That could save so many lives. I don’t have to be a neurosurgeon, or a Nobel Prize winner, I could simply save lives by doing what I would love to do. Now I can’t wait until I can start college and become an architect, a lifesaver.
The other day my friend and I were talking. She told me about all her classes she signed up for next year, and I did the same. Then after telling each other our classes, she asked me the question I had had been dreading all those years. What do you want to be when you grow up? I looked up at her and smiled. It was the first time I could answer this question. I want to be an architect, save lives, and change the world.