the loss of a Friend | Teen Ink

the loss of a Friend

October 22, 2008
By Anonymous

Everyone at some point in their life deals with a loss of a friend, a family member or maybe even an item. And with dealing with that, it could be the hardest thing you might ever have to do. The worse thing about it is finding out, because you never want to believe it.
One day on a Sunday afternoon I got a call from my best friend who lives in a town about 20 minutes from where I live. I know she had to tell me something, but I didn’t know it was going to be this serious. All it took was two words and my eyes filled up with tears, I was speechless. “I’m moving” she said with fear in her words and tears in her eyes. A million things were racing through my mind; Where? When? Why? Why me? Why her? I just don’t get it. She told me that she was moving four hours away. It’s her senior year! Why I keep asking myself? How could anyone put their child through that hurt and pain of leaving everyone and everything behind in the middle of her senior year? But they have no choice but to move. Her dad lost his job; I guess I can’t blame him for that. I was thinking about it after she hung up the phone, I can’t be moping around crying and worrying about it I have to stay strong for her, and I have to make these last few weeks with her the best weeks ever. Even though I know it’s going to be tough saying goodbye to my best friend, someone that you tell everything to, someone that is always there when you need them the most. I know that there is nothing I can do about it, even though I wish I could.
When you lose someone you love, that person cannot be replaced no matter how hard you try that person will always be in your heart. Katherine and I have been through so much, through good times and bad times; it’s going to be hard to part from the other half of me. It might not seem like it’s a big deal at first, but it doesn’t really hit you until they are gone forever. She was the best friend I have ever had and seeing her go just doesn’t seem realistic. I always try to look at the positive side of it and look at the memories we had together. I believe God has a plan for everyone and he puts you through hard times knowing that you have the strength to persevere and get through it. I know she is strong enough; I have no doubt in my mind that something amazing will come out of this for me and her. We might not know what it is now but we will.
I dread the day she moves because I don’t want to say goodbye, I don’t want to have to go through that kind of pain. It’s going to be tough, but no matter what happens we still have each other. We will be best friends forever and not even miles can tear us apart.