Schools Are Not Doing Enough to Stop Bullying | Teen Ink

Schools Are Not Doing Enough to Stop Bullying

January 24, 2014
By HelloImTheDoctor BRONZE, Wilbraham, Massachusetts
HelloImTheDoctor BRONZE, Wilbraham, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Who said you're not important? - The Doctor (BBC: Doctor Who)


Schools today are not doing enough to stop or prevent bullying in our school and schools around us. I know I’m just one student, but I feel I should speak out to those who are scared to tell or who those people who want to speak out. I am writing about this issue because stopping bullying in school is very important to me. I want to convince to everyone bullying is serious and the schools don’t give too much attention to it. I want schools to have more bullying prevention programs coming to schools and to have in the school itself.
Schools want to seem like they know the issue about it and they want to keep children safe in the school, but I beg to differ. Sure some schools at least have one bullying program come to their school in a year, but I feel like that isn’t enough. Some kids that are in school don’t always listen to adults and they think they can get away with doing bad things to another person. Kids don’t really take stuff seriously. I’m sorry it seems like teachers or any other adults in school don’t care about bullying either. I would sometimes see a person sad because a couple of other students talked about them for no reason. In this article called “Are Schools Doing Enough to Prevent Bullying?” Detective Tim Toth commented, “It’s great to tell the parents we have a bullying program in place, but until they take it serious and until the kids know there’s consequences with what they do, the program is no good.” If they can at least have a program come to the school and tell about all the consequences that bullying has to offer, schools would have lower bullying rates.
There is bullying everywhere. It’s at schools, it’s at home, and it’s on the internet. It’s weird how this all came to be, right? To many bullies, bullying releases stress; because they might be bullied, they are having family trouble, or just because they want to be cool in school. They don’t think they would get in trouble for it and the kid will be fine: the teachers also see the same thing and think ‘kids are being kids’. But to that bullying victim, they feel very awful about themselves because of the kids talking to them badly. The kid starts to have low self-esteem and doesn’t want to go to school because of it, which will make them do badly academically and will start to get bad grades. Since he is making bad grades and has low self-esteem, so they start self-harm. They feel worthless; they start to have suicidal thoughts. Is it a joke now? Are kids just being kids? That’s a weird way to put it…


The author's comments:
I chose this topic to research for my Writing Workshop Class. I find this important and I should have a say about it.