I am Fiction | Teen Ink

I am Fiction

By Dragoran SILVER, Overijse, Other
Dragoran SILVER, Overijse, Other

“Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing.”
― George Orwell, 1984

Every day, the perspective with which one sees the world is inevitably molded and colored by the knowledge that we receive in both fiction and reality. In each mind, there live 20,000 more. There is more to art than the author’s intention and the audience’s interpretation. The arts appeal to humans as a group, and they prompt us to set the bar higher.

I would be content to say that it ends there. I would be excited to believe that two humans can think together and make progress. However, our world sets a poor example. Wealth has left us with want. Knowledge has left us with pessimism. Pride has left us with hatred.

Regardless, the hatred within one man or woman has always passed and will always pass. Humans have short lives and do not have time to dawdle. So long as man is mortal, autonomy will never expire. The nations have the power to create machines, to be daring, to challenge adventures, and to share happiness. They live together and die together. They think alike and think differently. It’s all about the individual thoughts.

Language, as an expression of thought, is a handy tool in many forms. Consequential storytelling is only one of them. Meaningful fiction is dangerously absorbing. Drawing the line between stories and reality becomes increasingly difficult. Songs get stuck in your head. You cannot forget a specific scene from last night’s movie. The ending to a book plagues your thoughts. You don’t understand what the words make you feel. You fail to sleep without resolving it. You take to reading other books it may or may not refer to; they teach you nothing new. You learn nothing about yourself. You learn nothing about language. You learn nothing about the people in government. You don’t care, because there must be a point to all this. You do not simply live vindictively anymore; you enkindle 20,000 different minds at once. Somehow, you become isolated. Hallucinations become voluntary. You are now a character.

I’ve contentedly reached this threshold. Nevertheless, before immersing readers in fiction, I must first understand and trust what my own eyes are telling me