Don't Mean A Thing | Teen Ink

Don't Mean A Thing

Truth is, I've never believed in summer flings, set to music or not. Even the fish-and-bird of "Grease" (which I can't stand, by the way) managed to turn their fiasco into something much more long-term. So even though we live 363 miles apart (by your own calculation), and I was just a girl you met while working at the state's largest amusement park, it never occurred to the serious part of my mind that our one scorching day would be just that. Without the dramatic adjective, even. Just one day.

I mean, my bells and frills may have made quite the contrast to your skinny-jeans and beanie, but camisoles and hoodies aside, was I the only one who noticed how we fit together? I don't think so. When you blocked the offending sun from my face, your arms above your head like a ballerina, you were blocking the wrong source of heat - and by that time I had third-degree burns anyhow. And I don't think I'm wrong when I say neither of us could look away. When we both had to part, your stolen backward stares were just as frequent and intense as mine.

So after the games and the roller coasters, the snowcone and the soda, the screams and the three magic kisses (albeit on the cheek) - was I wrong to think it could turn into more? You have my number- why couldn't you be the first to call? Did dancing amid the swirling cotton mean something only to me? I know relationships are entirely based on shared experiences, but can't a couple of obsessed teenagers even keep in touch and hold out for the next opportunity? Why does everything have to be histrionics and hormones?

I guess my whole point here is just to get out my feelings and finally let you be what you're meant to be: A Summer Fling, nights (and batteries) not included. Funny how even as I write this, I know you'll never see it.

Yours truly (if only for a day),

Your Fling.

nabbi316 said...
on Sep. 22 2010 at 9:43 am
Interesting way to end it. I like that. The concept of this is very interesting, especially the slew of questions you ask. I also like how you made it a letter. I can kind of feel what you mean. Overall, good job.

anncola said...
on Sep. 22 2010 at 9:43 am
Loved the line "Yours truly (if only for a day)"

Aarika said...
on Sep. 22 2010 at 9:43 am
I felt that you were really confused about what happened, whatever it was, and that was conveyed well.

fred said...
on Sep. 22 2010 at 9:43 am
I like the way you set this up as a letter. I feel as though I shared this day with you as you captured it through strong imagery and feelings.

Pacwerdna said...
on Sep. 22 2010 at 9:42 am
Interesting that you took it from an "every person" perspective, but it would've been even more powerful, in my opinion, if you delved into specifics. If you still wanted to keep it general, maybe a poem would be better suiting, since I think poems have more of a broader feel to them and that's what people expect.

green said...
on Sep. 22 2010 at 9:42 am
Very honest. But don't hold your breath.

on Aug. 26 2010 at 8:56 am
rainonroses GOLD, Dayton, Ohio

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."-Judy Garland

Loved it! This is amazing, keep up the good work!

amaranth178 said...
on Apr. 5 2010 at 8:37 am
amaranth178, Washington, District Of Columbia
FANTASTIC!!

on Mar. 14 2010 at 5:48 pm
firstsnowfalls DIAMOND, Marcellus, New York
Wow!! Great job. Very poignant, emotional, and relatable. I loved it.

shhh19 BRONZE said...
on Jan. 7 2010 at 6:34 pm
shhh19 BRONZE, Warren, New Jersey
This piece made me want to just say "awwww"

So relatable.

I just wish you weren't so vague about what happened. Though your emotions were clearly portrayed, as a reader, I'm still curious about what happened. The truth will just bring this piece into another dimension. I loved this.

scorpio1192 said...
on Nov. 6 2009 at 7:44 am
i love the entire piece, from beggining to end. i can definitely relate to it alot!!!!Great job and keep it up!!!!!

on Apr. 16 2009 at 12:16 am
LexiPreiser SILVER, Westport, Connecticut
I love the truth in this piece. It's personal, but other people can relate to it really easily. Well done!!

on Feb. 24 2009 at 2:32 pm
BrookeSchueneman PLATINUM, Elko, Minnesota
Magnificent! I loved every single word of it. This was aperfect and paid great attention to word choice and detail. Bravo! Beautiful. Great job, my friend. I feel greatly for you. :)

on Feb. 19 2009 at 4:25 am
Timnit Kefela BRONZE, Leesburg, Virginia
Absolutely relateable and well written too! Kudos!

Shelby said...
on Dec. 3 2008 at 10:31 pm
I like how at the end you signed it as if this were a letter. Your imagery was great and I think a lot of people can relate with this kind of thing. Keep it up.

Inizhay said...
on Nov. 10 2008 at 10:01 pm
I really love it. The writing style is awesome, and the topic is something easily relatable (for me anyway). Nice job!