How to Write a Paper | Teen Ink

How to Write a Paper

By Galen Harte BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Galen Harte BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

How ironic is it that I am sitting at my computer wondering how to write a reflection about how to write. With every essay, every research paper, there’s always the stress of thinking of the “perfect opening.” Because, after all, that’s what really matters isn’t it? That first sentence can make or break an entire paper. You can either, grab the reader’s attention and make them want to read the rest of your paper, or you can bore them to death and make them think, “Well, let’s just get this over with.”

Then there’s that abstract idea facing you once you finally get the first paragraph over with. The rest of the paper. Sure you had a great opening, but now your paper’s just you rambling on about the same point in three different paragraphs. That’s why the best thing to do is just write without any editing. It may sound and look horrible but that’s not important now. What’s important is making sure all the thoughts in your head get onto the paper.

Step two. Now you have to go back and edit. You can’t just leave it as the first draft, that’s horrible! Your first draft will suck, unless you are some magical writing prodigy, but let’s face it you’re probably not. Sorry. Now, go edit that paper. Don’t be afraid to delete some stuff, it’s like they say, “Sometimes you have to kill your baby.” What may seem like an important point to you may make no sense to anybody else.

Now that you’ve got this polished beauty in front of you, it’s time to read it through. And I don’t mean in your head, read it out loud for the world to hear, even if the world at the moment is the four walls of your bedroom and your stuffed animals. Reading it out loud will make it easier for you to catch mistakes you made. You’ll be able to hear how ridiculous you sound.

Now that you’ve gotten to the final paragraph, the all so important conclusion, it’s time for you to stare at your computer screen blankly hoping the perfect ending will pop into your head. But, let’s be honest, it’s probably not going to. The best thing to do is try to relate it back to your entire paper and your introduction, at least that’s what every teacher’s ever told me. See, writing a paper isn’t hard after all. Remember that humor can always make a paper more interesting to the reader… and irony, irony is always good to.