I Learned

"Honey, what’d you learn in school today?"

I learned that the world is cruel. I learned that people will try to take your dreams. They will try to rip them into tiny little shreds and then burn them; burn them until they’re only ashes and there’s no proof they existed. There’s only the memory, and you’ll start wondering if the memory was only a dream.

I learned that they do this because someone did this to them; because they’ll feel better if they drag you down into a pit of hell with them. It makes them feel like they’ve won. I’ve learned that sometimes, you’ll be just like them. Sometimes, you’ll rip someone else’s dreams just to ‘win’.

I learned losing a dream feels like someone electrocuted your nerves; I learned that electrocuted nerves hurt like hell. I learned that sometimes you have to cry; there’s no other choice and you have no control over it and you don’t like it at all, no, you don’t. But it does make you feel better.

I learned that you either have to let go of the hatred or risk becoming just like them. I learned that the only way to ‘win’ is to have hope and keep your dreams - no matter how many times they’re burnt or ripped or trashed. I learned that, if you truly believe in your dreams, no one can ever take them. I learned that, beneath all the ashes, there’s some parts that people haven’t been able to burn yet.

"Nothing."

meredith P. said...
WOW!!!!!that was awesome.what you said in the first paragraph actually happened to me.and it hurt.really really bad.thanks for writing.