Cuddle Buddy | Teen Ink

Cuddle Buddy

October 14, 2008
By Anonymous

Since I was going to move, my best friend Allie scheduled many movie nights with our group of friends. They were always really fun and always brought good memories. One of the most memorable movie nights is one that I hardly remember at all!
We were about to watch Mission Impossible 3, waiting on everyone to arrive and get in their places. By now everyone had a certain place they sat for every movie in Allie’s basement. Leah and Ryan sat on the floor, as well as Allie. Michael and Erin sat on the giant beanbag. Grant, well I never really could keep track of him; he never sat still. Wesley sat on one far end of the cough and Johnny and I sat on the other.
Everyone got situated and Allie surprised us with homemade brownies, straight from the box. I didn’t like brownies without milk so I helped myself to Allie’s refrigerator and poured me a nice, tall glass of milk. When I came back downstairs with milk in one hand and my brownie in the other, people seemed to think that was funny. I honestly don’t see why because brownies leave a really dry taste in your mouth and water just doesn’t satisfy it!
When I finished my brownie and milk I threw away my trash and sat back down. The movie started with a girl tied up and a gun pointed to her head. I was already bored. I yawned and lied my head down on a pillow. Before I knew it, I was asleep.
Occasionally my sleep would be interrupted by loud explosions and gun shots. When I first woke up, I woke up with a girl tied up and a gun pointed to her head. Confused, I asked, “Why did we start the movie over?”
“We didn’t!” everyone at once said annoyed.
“It was a flashback,” explained Johnny, much nicer than the majority of my friends.
I really didn’t care so I said, “Oh I see,” and went back to my not so peaceful sleep.
The second time I woke up there was a big bang and a scary bald guy that said, “And bam! It’s Christmas.”
“It’s Christmas?” I asked tiredly.
Everyone at once practically yelled, “NO!”
“Excuse me for not knowing!” I said in my defense. I sighed and once again tried to sleep.
The third time I was awoken by an annoying ring. This time it was in real life. “Kaysey phone’s for you. It’s your dad,” said Allie. She handed me the telephone.
“Hello?” I said wearily into the phone.
“Are you okay?” asked my dad, “It sounds like you’ve been sleeping.”
“I’m awake,” I said the words barely escaping my mouth. As I said this I heard snickering coming from my group of friends who were more tuned into my phone call than the movie. I shot a glare at them.
“You didn’t answer your cell phone. How’s the movie?” he asked.
“Fine,” I said. I pulled my phone out of my pocket realizing I had two missed calls from home.
“Well I’ll be there to pick you up in about forty-five minutes. Okay?”
“Fine,” I repeated. I hung up the phone and went back to my comfy pillow. I gently rested my head on it and got resituated. My eyelids closed and I slept with no more interruptions.
“Kaysey,” Johnny said quietly, “Movie’s over.”
I awoke startled realizing that I wasn’t sleeping on a pillow. It was Johnny’s shoulder. “Oh,” I yawned, “I’m sorry I didn’t realize I was sleeping on your shoulder. You could have asked me to move.”
“I don’t mind,” Johnny said smiling, “You can be my cuddle buddy.”

Saying goodbye is one of the hardest things a person will have to do, but it is also a fact of life. About a month after this movie night I moved from my small and country town in Kansas to a huge and busy city in Texas. I had to say goodbye to my friends and family.
It was difficult saying goodbye, but I have realized that I am not losing any friends from Kansas, just gaining new friends from Texas. I know now that I wasn’t saying goodbye to my Kansas friends. I was simply saying, see you later.