How to groom your horse | Teen Ink

How to groom your horse

November 7, 2013
By haileyberman BRONZE, Bend, Oregon
haileyberman BRONZE, Bend, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
We belong to nobody and nobody belongs to us. ~Audrey Hepburn


“Its easy to groom a horse” you say? No. It’s not if you do it well, but it might still be a challenge. To groom a horse, it could take extreme patience and sometimes the strength to hold you hands up towards the sky for an extended period of time. Other then to keep your horse clean and beautiful, cleaning up your horse will develop respect, trust, and love.

Some things you’ll need:

-Curry comb

-Hard brush (dandy brush)

-2-4 sponges

-Fly spray (if needed)

-Hair bands for braiding and plaiting -stool (if horse is tall)

-2 or more towels if it is cold out
-hoof pick

-mane and tail brush

Your steps to an amazing looking horse:

1) Tie your horse to a grooming post with a halter and lead rope. Make sure to use a slip knot so that if they pull hard enough they can get out and not hurt themselves.

2) Pick your horses hooves: Pick up his/her hoof by running your hand down their leg to find its “sweet spot”. Lean against your horse’s shoulder to ensure you and your horses stability. Start picking the dirt and rocks out of the hoof from around the frog (the back) to the shoe (the rounded tip of your horses hoof).

3) Use the curry comb to loosen shedded hair and dirt- Rub the comb in small circular motions from the top of the neck to the flanks to bring dirt and loose hairs to the top of the coat. Repeat x2 on both sides.

4) Use your dandy (hard brush). Use this brush by stroking your horses coat in short flicking motions to get the loose hair and dirt off your horse. Start from the neck again and work your way down to the tail (dont forget your horse’s legs!). Repeat x2.

5) Clean up excess dirt with a soft brush; use this in the same fashion you did the hard brush but only do this once.

6) Use a wet sponge to clean out your horses eyes, nose, and dock area if you are showing.

7) Brush out your horses mane and tail; use your fingers first to separate knots and kinks. Next, use a wide-tooth comb to brush out the mane and tail. Don’t use a regular brush that is meant for humans, as it will pull out their hair faster than it can grow back.
8) Saddle up and don’t forget to have fun! Remember to give your horse lots of love and treats!


The author's comments:
i think this article can make grooming a horse easy for anyone!