Nice Guys Finish Last | Teen Ink

Nice Guys Finish Last

It was happening all over again. I lay on my bed, phone pressed to my ear. “I wish a guy would care. Why doesn’t anyone love me?” the one I loved asked me. I was in silent tears. “I don’t know,” I replied softly.

I hate when girls don’t trust guys, telling us matter-of-factly that guys all want the same thing. Sex. That’s not always the case, and I hate the stereotype. Those guys, the “bad” guys, the guys who use the girls, make it hard for us caring guys. They step on a girl’s heart, before a nice guy can come in and hold it dearly beside his own.

But the point of view on the girls’ side is understandable, I’ve realized, as I’ve heard stories about the evil things guys can do to girls. I wonder if they understand that they truly damage them. What could provoke a guy to do anything horrible to an innocent girl? To simply break the girl’s heart, and leave it trashed without any worry or concern that she will very possibly not have the strength to repair it. That’s where I often come in. I help them mend their own heart. I’ve always helped and I’ve always cared. Apparently, this makes me an amazing best friend who is just always there.

What I so obviously lack the imagination to understand is why the girls, always, still want what the bad guys. The mean guy. The stoned guy, the drunk guy. The one that will definitely hurt and use her. I don’t understand why the girl can never turn around and see that the nice guy, the sweet and clean guy, and the guy that cares so whole-heartedly is right next to her, hoping beyond hope that he’ll get a chance to prove his love. I don’t understand why no girl can give me the trust of her heart. I would cherish the trust. When have I ever tried to hurt someone? When have I ever lied to get what I want? When have I done drugs? I haven’t. So, I don’t understand. The guy she describes, the guy she says she wants, sounds like me. Every time. So why do I not get the chance to be her world? I guess I won’t, despite the fact that she’s already mine.

So, should I change? Should I become forever worried about my drug supply and sex? Should I simply stop caring? Caring is getting me nowhere but lonely. I could make a girl feel beautiful, and most definitely show her how that she is loved. But what’s the point in having the passion if it never gets to escape from me?

My two best friend’s, the male ones, changed. They use to care; they use to want to romantically whisk the girls off of their feet. Now they just want to use the girls for sex, along with a fun time with drugs and alcohol. I’ve never had drugs, or alcohol, and I don’t have the slightest inclination to do so. Is that the problem? I don’t understand. Is a mean, drugged, and drunk guy what a girl looks for? What they crave? Or do they like to be treated wrong? Do they like to feel that they’re loved because they get to share the drugs? Maybe I should be one of the drugged guys, and forever only look for sex. I think about it a lot. My friends are happy that way. Would I be? I could be. But I don’t want to change. But this everyday feeling of utter uselessness and deep sadness, along with the feeling of being invisible, I don’t know how I can live with it. So, Is it worth staying me?

Two days after the phone call, she runs up to me at school. She gives me a hug and talks excitedly, a smile obvious on her beautiful face. “So there’s this boy that I like. He’s way cute. I think you’ll approve.” She points him out to me. I know him. He’s one of the bad guys. I nod at her, while just wishing that for once, she were pointing at me.

KelleySchorn SILVER, Fort Worth, Texas

Whatever you are be a good one-some president i dont remember which
procrastinaters unite!...tomorrow!!-matt
i'm F-U-L-LLLLL i think i can spellllll-allie =]

you should tell her how you feel!! or at least be more obvious or something! you sound like the type of guy im looking for too! im a girl and i dont look for the drugies and alchoholics. stay who you are! dont change! please! nice guys are becoming extinct!!

PJH94 said...
PJH94, Marrero, Louisiana

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and day to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting.
-E.E. Cummings

I know exactly how you feel.

I have many girl friends whom I care about, and many whom I have feelings for. It pains me so much to see them go to the wrong type of guy. But, no matter what, I'll always be there for them.

I don't want to tell them about my feelings for them because I fear thaat I'll lose the really great friendships I have with them.

Freebird87 said...
on Feb. 11 2009 at 12:50 am
There's nothing wrong with you. "Nice Guys Finish Last" is just a myth. It's really passive guys who finish last.

You should tell the girl how you feel about her. I'm not saying you should tell her you love her. That might scare her away. You should let her know you like her. It wouldn't be fair to keep your feelings for her a secret.

I know telling her you like her may sound scary, but you will feel better once you tell do. If she rejects you, I'm sure she'll be nice about it.