The Pressure of Writing

We all love to write, but hate to see our pieces poorly received. We try many things to make our art better. I've read countless books to try and inspire me and read many works by my friends in hopes to learn things from them. Sometimes I get that spark and I am creative and create a pretty great piece, but there is no consistency. There seems to be no system one can use to get the creativity out. Which is odd, because for some arts there are. Take acting for example. There are many systems out there you can use to help inspire you, but the same can not be said for writing. That being said, I think I have found a way to enjoy writing; to enjoy the process and the product and not to worry about the feedback. See, when it is real art, it comes from inside you. It has great meaning. It's not something you are spewing out and trying to make your own that you found in a book you read. You don't need books to inspire you. You have life. You have your friends, family, and the world around you. Going outside and walking to the edge of the driveway to get the mail is enough to inspire you. You have so much in your brain. You have the world inside your mind.When you discover all these beautiful things, you will realize just how much potential you have. You will start to realize that you love yourself, and that's okay, because there are many great things about you. This is a good thing, because since you love yourself, you will let yourself be happy via writing, or whatever form of art makes you happy. The opinion of others is irrelevant. If it comes from a true place inside, it is beautiful. Don't worry yourself with the opinions of others. No one loved Van Gogh at first. They did not get his work., but now many consider him a genius. Instead of being like Van Gogh though and being depressed because you think you are a failure, realize that you are not a failure. You have made great art and you have enjoyed the process. You had a lot of fun. What else matters? Once you speak from inside, and write about what you truly care about, whether it be about someone you love or a flower or a bridge, as long as it makes you happy, that is all that matters. When the happiness from writing becomes so strong, when you love writing so much, the negative reception won't matter. You will be confident enough in yourself to know it is real art that you can be proud of because it comes from a beautiful place, yourself.

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 7 at 12:23 pm
I totally agree with AcidRoses. That's really awesome. I just don't have much I can say, but wow. I love the second person voice throughout this, and I LOVE the length. It sums it all up really quite nicely, and it's powerful due to the length especially. I also love how you included Van Gogh, but i feel like you should also include an AUTHOR who took the same path. Maybe that would speak to the reader more, I don't know. I really do love this, though. It's incredible that you were able to strin... (more »)

AcidRoses said...
Preach, man! Preach! This is exactly what I believe especially in relation to this site. I've always written to get into the magazine and I feel like my work has been diluted because of it, now I write from an earnest place. I write because I want to, not because I feel obligated by wanting to be accepted. I also feel like, and you touched upon this a great deal, that when you write from inside of you its a reflection of yourself so it will be be... (more »)

Truth_and_Love replied...
Oh, brother, exactly! Love the first line of your comment, "Preach, man! Preach!" So encouraging to hear, man. Thanks for checking out my article. I'm glad you were able to relate.