I.S.G.M. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

"Where can I find the painting that's shown on the postcard?" That's the question I'm often asked when I volunteer at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston.

Volunteering was something I never really considered doing until last summer. I had just finished a seven-week job program at a bank and I realized how bored I was going to be. There was nothing exciting to do except shopping with friends, reading, playing tennis, and watching TV. Then one night, I went through this box filled with old memories and I found a lifetime admissions pass to the Gardner Museum, which I had received when I visited in sixth grade. At that very moment, I decided to get a volunteer position there to keep myself busy before school started.

It was not until late August when I was finally notified of a volunteer position at I.S.G.M. I didn't really want to volunteer anymore because school was about to resume. But I decided to try it for fun. At first, the job was not very exciting because all I did was open boxes and price items for the gift shop. But soon I had the opportunity to assist customers and work as a cashier in the gift shop along with what I did at first. The best part was that I met visitors coming from around the world.

What makes volunteering at the I.S.G.M. so much "fun" is that I never feel as if I have to do something. I try to contribute as much of my time as possible. All the staff members are very friendly and sincere, and I never feel out of place.

It's been three months since I started volunteering and I'm still enjoying every minute of it. I learn something new every day; at the same time, the same question is still being asked by visitors, "Where can I find this painting in the museum?" fl

zhlen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this was really cool, the piece was also really good.