Working at the Pharmacy | Teen Ink

Working at the Pharmacy MAG

I am 16 years old and before last summer, I never had a real job. I would do chores around the house or deliver newspapers for my friend while she was away on vacation. I liked doing this, but I decided this year to do something different.

During the summer, my grandmother sent me to the local pharmacy to pick up some medicine for her. While I was at the pharmacy, Mr. Ip, the pharmacist, asked me if I would like to work for him. I had known him for a long time since our family always went to him for medicine. We agreed on the days and times I would work, and what I would be paid. I was very nervous because this was the first time I had a real job. After we talked, he introduced me to everyone who worked there. Mr. Ip told me I would start the next day at 5:00 p.m.

The next day came and I was there at 5:00 p.m. sharp. He was happy to see me and had me start working immediately. He paired me up with another boy, Rory, who had worked there for a year. I knew Rory from school. He was a year younger than me. Rory showed me everything I would be doing: what to sweep, how to tie up newspapers, and to take out the garbage. The job was very simple and could be completed in the two hours I worked.

After a few days, I was able to do these things on my own. When Rory went on vacation he left me to take over. The next day, Mr. Ip showed me how to use the cash register. This was pretty exciting because I had only been there for a week and Rory had been there for a year and had never been allowed to use the cash register. I felt that Mr. Ip was giving me a lot of responsibility. Again, I was afraid that I would make a mistake, but Mr. Ip assured me that I would be fine, and I was.

I am still working there, five months later, and I love the job. I am very lucky to have a job close to home and to have such a great boss who treats me with respect. c