September 11th, 2008 | Teen Ink

September 11th, 2008

By Greek311 PLATINUM, New City, New York
Greek311 PLATINUM, New City, New York

Every year, once a year, we reflect on the day that changed our nation’s history and path, forever. It was September 11th, 2001, when two planes were purposely crashed into The World Trade Center buildings. One hit the Pentagon. Another plane was targeted for the State Capital, but thanks to the courageous passengers of United Airlines Flight 93, patriotism took a new meaning when they fought back to defend our beautiful country.

Today is September 11th, 2008, seven years after that tragic day and people still feel the shock of the disaster. I was sitting in gym, third period, when the loud speaker cracked to life. The announcer said that a student would share his feelings about the attack and then we would have a moment of silence. The young man made a beautiful speech about how we are still united and would remain so. Prior to the speech, I didn’t expect to have much of a reaction, due to the numerous times the process has been carried out. But, as he went on, I found my eyes watering and pulse racing. My skin became hot and clammy. I tried to hold on, but the emotion in the man’s voice brought back terrible memories of that tragic day.

The speech ended, but the intensity grew. Everyone remained silent. So silent, the sound of a pin dropping could be heard. The moment dragged on as we repainted the scene that so many had witnessed; whether from television, on the internet, or in person. Again, the old rusty speaker crackled and trumpets began to play our national anthem. Shivers ran down my spine and I looked at others who were in the same state as I was. The song ended, and the load speaker died. After another ten seconds of reflection, we carried on with class.