My Life Changing Moment | Teen Ink

My Life Changing Moment

So many people say, “Moments define who you are,” and in my case it true. This moment changed my life forever and to some it seems to have been in the wrong direction, a change for the worst. To me though this event makes me unique and unlike anyone I know, so in my eyes it’s a change for the better. Even though it might be a change caused by fear, I never regret it happening because, it truly opened my eyes to how fast your life can be lost and that life’s a gift that should never be taken for granted even in such simple of occasions.

I remember it vividly the sticky, hot summer air as the sun was going down and my stomach growling as I was so hungry from swimming in my grandparent’s above ground pool all day long with my sisters and family. I finally dried off, and slipped into my favorite tank top and cut off shorts, and plopped down in my grandpa’s big comfy recliner to watch cartoons till dad and grandpa got back with dinner. I was thrilled when I heard the hissing of my grandparents’ old glass door as the men walked in with red and white plastic sacks in hand with the picture of the dear old Colonel plastered on the front.

I remember running and bellying up to the big oak table that consumed my grandparents’ kitchen waiting impatiently for my mom to finish scooping up my serving of mashed potatoes, macaroni, and green beans along side the extra crispy drumstick I was about to receive. The table was full of chatter about the usual Saturday evening talk; “Did you have fun today? You look like you might have a sun burn. Did you girls hang up your towels?” But none of these questions where important to me except for, “Do you want gravy, honey?” As soon as my plate was placed in front of me, I immediately began downing my helping of macaroni, for it was my favorite and moved on next to my beloved drumstick. I recall taking my first bite of the tender meat and rolling the crunchy skin around my mouth and trying to chew as fast as I possible could to have the chance to get another, but something happened. I remember the stabbing sensation in my throat and grasping for air and the ability I was so use to halted, the ability of not being able to breath. My eyes began to turn foggy and all I could hear is my mom yelling, “Oh my God Bill, she’s choking!” The next thing I know I’m being picked up and feel a thrusting pain coming from my abdomen, due to my adrenalin pumping father performing the Heimlich Maneuver on his thirty-five pound daughter. I can still feel the air rushing back into my four year old lungs after the logged meat was thrown from my mouth. Soon after I remember crying in my grandpa’s lap, and leaving my half eaten plate on the table, for I was no longer hungry.

My parents soon after had a talk with me, telling me I was alright and that everything’s okay. I knew they where scared even at the age of four. My dad was sitting with his elbows on his knees rubbing his face, and I knew if something would have happened to me, he would have felt responsible. My mom comforted me and told me to go play and I went along with my sisters to watch cartoons thinking constantly about the nightmare that has just occurred.

This event still affects me today even though it occurred over twelve years ago. To this day that hot summer evening was the last time I ever tasted a chicken leg and the only thing I will eat from the home of the Colonel, is their macaroni which continues to be my favorite. This event really opened my eyes to how fast and easily your life can be in danger, even if it is just enjoying a take out dinner with your family, and forever will I be in debt to my father, due to his quick thoughts and actions I have my life today. Looking back on this moment still gives me chills and I don’t think I will ever forget it. That moment in which I remember not being able to speak, eat, or even breathe really forecasted my life and how it should never be taken for granted. Now when I hear those words, “I could die tomorrow,” I think to myself it could really happen and in the most innocent of ways too. This moment truly defines me, a girl who’s constantly reminded every time she swallows of that horrific day and how life and death could be just a few moments away.