A Miserable Experience Farming This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Taking care of animals is hard. You have to put in a lot of time and effort. But to me it is worth it. Last August I worked on my uncle's farm. I had just finished unbuckling the cows, and we had to let the cows across the road. I had opened the gate and to my surprise all 102 cows were scattered. A quarter of them were in the road and the other three-quarters had vanished into the cornfield. I ran to tell my uncle. We started getting the ones out of the road. Then I entered the cornfield. I thought, This is going to be impossible. My heart was pounding and I was very nervous. The hot weather didn't make it any easier. I was breathing heavily. It seemed like it took 20 minutes to find one cow in the cornfield. The cornfield was huge and seemed like a neverending maze, which made me want to quit, but I keep chugging. I wasn't about to give up. I slowly started to drive the cows out, a few at a time. It took forever. I thought it was never going to end. When we were down to the last few, I was relieved and happy. Eventually, we got them all out. Even though you could pick up the cows' tracks (hoof prints and the knocked-over corn), it was still hard to find them. It took us approximateley two hours and forty-nine minutes. I was so bombarded with happiness. As much as I love animals and farming, I hope that never happens again. c

Lily">This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 10 at 12:58 pm
i love this so much!