Killer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My hand moved back and forth. It had been hard at first, but now the motion was almost automatic. I was used to the blood that came as my knife cut through flesh. I no longer found it gruesome to reach in and snap the bones. It was no longer atrocious to pull out the fragments.

I thought about my family, especially my sister who had spent most of her life protesting against what I did now. My mother was never fond of it and even my father, always the traditional man, grimaced when I first told him about my odd profession. He stood by me though, even when the rest of my family labelled me a killer and scum.

I was not always like this. Once upon a time I had a promising future. After graduating at the top of my class from high school, I went on to Harvard. Later I grew bored of law and decided to try my hand at medical school. It is the greatest of ironies that I had to leave because I couldn't stomach it. No one wants to give a two time college drop-out any sort of scholarship and I had no money so I took to wandering. I worked a number of odd jobs and eventually found myself in New York. That's where I met Charlie. Charlie was the one who introduced me to my profession. A kind man, and good with a knife, he took me in. My medical skills paid off, and I soon took over Charlie's job. He was only 35; people don't stay overly long in this profession.

I finished the gory work just as the sun came up. With all the ligaments properly packaged and the good meat separated from the bad, I was ready to go home. As I took my once-white apron off and locked up, I couldn't help but wonder how long I'd stay a butcher. I was ready for my sister to talk to me again. The fact that she was a die-hard vegan should never have gotten in the way of us being friends. 1