It's Pay Day! This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It's Pay Day! by Julie Castellanos, Delta Junction, AKMillions. That is how much some major league baseball players are paid. The question is: do they deserve it?Consider this: the Atlanta Braves starting rotation costs roughly $30 million for the 1998 season. Sammy Sosa and Gary Sheffield will each make $10 million this year. Should they earn this much?In my opinion, they deserve it. Who else can pitch like the Atlanta Braves pitchers? They are paid a lot because of their ability. Think about it this way: if Albert Belle is paid $10 million, then why shouldn't Ken Griffey Jr. be paid $11 million? It's all about comparisons.Life is not just fun in professional baseball. These guys earn their pay despite people thinking it's just a game. To them, it's an art and it takes skill.Do you think movie stars are paid too much? Both are entertainers and need to travel. Players have a higher risk of injury. Baseball players who are paid a lot are just like movie stars and, like in the movies, you have other entertainers in the shadows who are not paid as much.The next time you think a player's salary is ridiculous, remember the skill, concentration, and stamina these players have. l

Lily">This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
yesterday at 12:50 pm
i love this so much!