The Cliques | Teen Ink

The Cliques

May 9, 2013
By Kira Armstrong BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma
Kira Armstrong BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ever since your first day in school, whether it be pre-k or kindergarten, you have certain friends whom you associate yourself with and then are placed among the same “kind” of people. School teaches the beginning steps of social stereotypical mind-set and then people wonder why later in life we classify kids by their “groups”. In my high school the whole “clique” thing is extremely out of control. Every single student is stereotyped into a group by the way they express themselves, the people they hang out with, how much money their parents make and how well the teachers like them.
The “Popular” Clique:

To be part of the “popular” clique you need mainly to be rich, you need to have the “looks” and to make sure that everybody wants to be you. If you’ve got those three down, you are set to be in the “popular” clique. When you’re growing up, you realize a change in so many of your childhood friends. That is about the time you start to realize your potential status of being in one clique or another. The “popular” clique in many high schools is mainly based upon how well you can lie to yourself about the real you and everybody else.
The “Middle” Clique:

The “middle” clique is usually made up of people who are neither “popular” nor “weird”. They are actually a normal clique in most schools. They do not have to lie themselves about the real them nor feel the need to please everybody. They do not change themselves to ensue others’ personalities or styles. They are themselves and they make sure to define themselves.
The “Weird” Clique:

This group consists of people who are perfectly okay with themselves. They usually stay to themselves and don’t usually have to follow anybody. They are the only constant people who are “weird” because they are not sub servient to the changing times of the ages. These people are mainly defined as being the most normal: they don’t want to be something other than themselves, and they don’t change themselves to fit in with anybody.

People in this day and age are so sub-servient to the changing times of the era that most of the time they forget to remember who they were as a little kid. As little kids they were unique.