Three Wishes | Teen Ink

Three Wishes

April 21, 2013
By Jalulu_star GOLD, Lisbon, Iowa
Jalulu_star GOLD, Lisbon, Iowa
12 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
-Edgar Allen Poe


First, I would be selfish and wish for an unlimited supply of chocolate chip cookies, homemade, fresh out of the oven.

Now these next two ideas are very self-less.

I would wish for her: The one who tries 101 percent, all the time, but is forever under-appreciated. No one loves her, not really. Her father comes home wasted every night, her mother, the one person on this earth that loved her, died when she was 6. The boys at school don’t really love her, just like to have a pretty, smart, loving girlfriend. No one else turns with appreciative eyes as she walks by in the hall. She only gets giggles and teases from the people at school. Even the teachers seem not to appreciate her straight A’s and creative attitude. She has turned to drugs. Cigarettes, alcohol, and cutting are all addictions.

And the sad part is, she’s only 13.

My last wish is for them. “All the Lovely Bad Ones”. (That’s the title of a book by Mary Downing Hahn.) All those poor orphaned children who misbehave to rebel against the plain white walls and blank expressions of the nurses. I’ve been there, not an orphanage, but an orphaned mind. Alone, cutting your self off from all that is good. Only telling the bad.

But these children have it for real. Little food, hard cold wash basins, and the stuff they learn is not enough. There are those who strive to get out and live a good life, go to college, etc., but they are not educated well enough to achieve their dreams. It is such a tragic truth. World peace is partially solving world hunger and child abuse. World Peace alone, I will not wish for, because I don’t think it could really ever exist. People get restless. But I will wish for cookies, for the unloved, and for child abuse and hunger to end, once and for all.


The author's comments:
This was an assignment for English that I found from last year. It is if I could have three wishes, what would they be. I tried to be as honest as I could, because if I had that opportunity, I probably wouldn't wish for only everyone else. Or only myself, for that matter. Anyways, this is what I would want if I got granted three wishes.