Life or Death | Teen Ink

Life or Death

On the evening of December 30, 2004 there was a 41-year-old man with his 12-year-old daughter in the truck with him. Deputy Butler was on duty that night, over the scanner he had heard about a car chase that was now crossing over into Shelby County. He became involved with the chase, the man was fumbling around the cab of his truck and Deputy Butler believed he had a gun.

After a 8 mile car chase the man stops the truck and reaches onto the floor, he also tells his daughter to get down. Deputy Butler ran upto the truck and shot the man one time in the head. The bullet also hit the mans daughter in the head, she suffered minor injuries. Deputy Butler radios in for an ambulance while other deputies are en route to the help needed call.

Deputy Butler was charged with voluntary manslaughter, he pleaded not guilty. He claimed to shoot the driver in self defense. Which was later proven by the testimony from the drivers daughter.In June of 2005 he was acquitted of manslaughter and ws able to go home to his 5-year-old son and fiance.

Butler is still a deputy for Shelby County and he is also on the volunteer fire department. We are all thankful that he was acquitted, he saved many lives that night, including the other deputies and himself.

"I felt that it was his life or my life.I believe at that point if I don't fire, he's going to fire on me." ~Deputy Butler
"Thank you everyone, I knew that everyone would understand my situation." ~Deputy Butler