Dear Jack This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Jack,

This is you in 15 years. To prove it, look beneath your dresser and tear out your stash of cash.

I want to start off by saying, make it last while you can. Live every minute of every day to the fullest. Act as if it’s your last.

As I write you, I’m sitting in my cramped cubicle, trying to block out the nasal voice of my obese boss. I’m reminded daily of how much work I’m not doing. Like I said, make it last, kid. You think it will be cool to get up and drive to your dream job every morning. The cold, hard truth is that most people don’t get their dream job, and work is still work.

Fifteen years ago, I didn’t believe in myself. Look where I am today. Change your way of thinking. Believe in yourself.

Oh, and stop yelling at your mom. She does everything she can for you, and you don’t appreciate her. Once you’re older you’ll understand.

Your three-story dream house is nonexistent. A one-­story ranch with no air conditioning is the reality.

It’s hard out here. It’s life. See you when you’re older.

Sincerely, You

laugh_much? said...
Feb. 24, 2009 at 9:02 am
i really like this.
just reminds me to step the hell back from my life once and a while