Harris Burdick | Teen Ink

Harris Burdick

“It was a nice summer day and I thought I would open the window to let in some fresh air. I went down stairs to get a glass of lemonade, walked back up to my room and there were doves flying around my room. Then I noticed that there was one coming off my walls. The birds flew off my wallpaper!” Kay began to tell her mother.
“You’re just seeing things. Birds don’t just fly off your walls.”
“Well something is going on with my room because I know what I saw.”
Kays mother heard a lot of movement upstairs, so she thought she would go check on her to make sure she was alright. She walked up the stairs, opened the door, and screamed.
“Oh my goodness! You were telling me the truth!”
She looked at the walls and noticed that Kay was not lying that the birds came to life from her wallpaper. She walked back down stairs and sat on the couch and thought of how this could be really happening.
Kays mother got up and called her mother. She began to tell her what happened. Later that night Kays grandmother called back and spoke with Kay. She talked to her about the whole thing. Before they hung up, her grandmother old her that she knew that birds come to life when you open the window. She never told Kay because she wanted her to figure it on her own. Her grandmother lived in that house when she was a little girl and gave it to her daughter when she moved. Kay got the room with the birds.
Years later, Kay told her grandchildren and they told there friends. The story then began, It all began when someone left the third story window open.