The Event That Changed My Life | Teen Ink

The Event That Changed My Life

“A memory lasts forever. Never does it die. True friends stay together. And never say goodbye.” Unfortunately, this saying does not apply for my life. I have lived in Macon, Georgia for most of my life and known Allen Butler also for most of my life. Allen and I were best of friends. We hung out every weekend, played on the same soccer team, and went to the same private school. He has to be the best friend I have ever had. I have never, ever been away from his house or away from him on the soccer fields for more than a week. Allen and I, we were inseparable.
Until, that one ghastly day, when I came home from school, this day was one of the worst days of my life. My father told me that we were moving. I just stood there in awe. My mouth gaped open like a wide-open door. The blood from my whole body just rushed to my head in a mad dash. I could not believe it; the fact that we were moving entered my head in an instant. I would never see my best friend again. Then, I found out that our new home is only an hour and a half away. I still will not be able to go to the same school, play on the same team, or see Allen every weekend. It was my worst nightmare.
On my first day of school at Whitewater Middle School in Fayetteville, Georgia, I was so nervous. “It’s going to be fine. You will make new friends,” my mother said as a walked up the stairs of the bus. I sat there, about the pee in my pants I was so worried, just wanting to be back down in Macon with Allen and everyone else. When I walked into the front doors of my new, unrecognized school, I realized this day was going to be the longest day of my new life. I have never attended a school with more than two hundred students in the whole school. Now, there are at least three hundred students in a single grade. For every second I was not rounding the corner at school and seeing my best friend Allen, I realized that this is going to be harder than I thought.
While walking in the halls, a boy named Derek Newsome, who is in my grade, noticed that I was the new kid. “Hey, you’re the new kid, right?” was the first thing he asked me. For some reason, from that day forth, Derek and I hung out more often. I have found a new friend. Even though Derek is my new friend, he will never replace my very first best friend ever, Allen Butler. Now, four years later, I still keep him in touch with Allen Butler often and see him at least five times a year. Derek and I are excellent friends still and now I go to his house almost every weekend. This life changing experience will stay in my mind forever and I learned that moving is hard, but with a little time, you can adapt to your new life. “A memory lasts forever. Never does it die. True friends stay together. And never say goodbye.” Yes. Friends never say goodbye. They just leave footprints in your heart and, for that, you will never forget them.

theauthor said...
well done danny!!