Affairs | Teen Ink

Affairs

By bridizzles GOLD, Marion, Iowa
bridizzles GOLD, Marion, Iowa

Student teacher relationship all starts in a classroom were student learns by their teacher, but is the educational system really that way or is the student teacher bond changed can a student just be a student or has the educational system allowed student and teacher to take it more on a deeper level a more physical and emotional level. “The communication between the student and the teacher serves as a connection between the two” said Jones, Vernon F., and Louise Jones. Responsible Classroom Discipline. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, Inc., 1981. 95-215.
Recently this year two of my Washington high school teachers had inappropriate relationships with their student both a female and male teacher. Heather Adams a Washington high school chemistry teacher slept with an 18 year old student. In my opinion he was not under age he was 18 year old which I legal in some state 17 years old is legal so what I have heard I think she did use her authority as a teacher and a mentor to her student is a wrong way but the male student made he’s own decisions as an legal adult she has jeopardized her status as a teacher and will never be a teacher again but the student was of age and they did it off school grounds.
Most famous scandal in the student teacher relationship was Mary Kay Letourneau she had an affair with a 13 year old that is now 2012 her happily married husband. Mary was already married with kids. Vili Fualaau told police officer she did not sexual assault her because they were in love Mary was arrested for second degree rape sentence 7 year in jail where she gave birth to vili’s her student child. The Mary Letourneau was a shocking story but it was the story about how people can find love in strangest places to me vili was way too young for her he was only 13 and in the 6th grade he barley even experienced life it was wired but now they are happily married with 2 kids so sometimes these things work out in the weirdest way.
With these two different personalities from different place has the school board been too keen with educating the teacher about student and what their relationship is supposed to be like? To me the educational system needs to punish the teacher but they don’t like tell them the right way to act around them some teacher are even afraid of interacting with student because there scared there could be some false accusations going around teacher love what they do but do they understand the importance of a stable adult and mentor to these student to me some don’t if they with have affair with a student what happen with the relationship if teacher doesn’t want to do it anymore not only are you giving mixed feeling you are traumatizing the mind of child/young adult.
Concluding thoughts- should the educational system is more primitive with their stand on relationships with students? To me a student should not have relationships with teachers because not only is it illegal you not setting examples for other student. A student relationship with a teacher should just be teacher and is a mentor and encourager nothing else maybe friends but should be anything more. “The teacher needs to understand that in many schools, especially in big cities like Los Angeles, children come from different cultures and backgrounds. A teacher then needs to understand the value of the students' senses of belonging, which can be of greater value and build self-worth for minority students. If the teacher demonstrates an understanding of the student’s culture, it will provide a better understanding between the teacher and the student. Though there are students who have a difficult time in school and according to David Thomas essay, “The Mind of Man” states, “children who are yelled at feel rejected and frightened because a teacher shouts at them” (Thomas 122).