Let's not be Matriarchal | Teen Ink

Let's not be Matriarchal

Idily waiting by the bottom of the stairs, I looked up. I saw the marble steps whind up and up into a perfect spiral. Breathing in, I screamed. My throat ached, my eyes boar tears, yet i continued to scream. Once I stopped, all I heard was the fading sound of my words, bouncing off the walls in echo. I murmured poems under my breath and looked around. No one appeared to see me; no one appeared to be there. My palms itche and the walls seemed to be closing in on me. The air in the room seemed to be flooding out of the windows, even though the walls were bared. I sat on a soft chair, watching my stupid little life drown before me. My formal dress was damp with sweat and my curls wilted. Yet, I didn't care. It seemed as if all the care or worry had been dropped. Either for me or by me. I couldn't tell yet.

This piece was really easy for me to write. I often feel trapped in life, like it really has no point, as I image we all do at one time or another. I got this feeling one day when I was driving and the windows were open; music was blasting, and no one even looked up at the car. I felt weightless and free. I knew that in that moment that all my little insignificant social problems were really as pointless as they seemed. At that moment, they crumbled, and I felt free and uncontrolled.