Silent Witnesses | Teen Ink

Silent Witnesses

Is it possible to share the message of salvation without saying a word? Nine members of the Oasis Community Church (a Christian and Missionary Alliance church in St. George, Utah) youth group, that consists of anywhere from ten to fifteen youth, at any given time, think so.

Upon learning of an opportunity to contribute to an upcoming community event, in the St. George city town square, the Oasis Community Church head elder and deaconess, a husband and wife team, offered to teach the youth some mimes that they could use to minister to those attending the event. When the youth caught wind of this they were excited. What would it be like to do something so different from the normal way of ministering?

Every Wednesday for two months, after the youth had music, announcements, and a small devotional, they would retreat to a small room in the church to learn three mime skits meant to tell of the love of Jesus and the way to salvation. Sometimes the youth would become frustrated trying to convey the proper emotions through body movements and facial expressions, but their immense need to share Jesus’ message was stronger than any obstacle.

On the day of their performance the youth were emanating energy and joy in their every move. They had arrived at the church two and a half hours before their first performance in order to put on make-up and run through each of their skits. They were both excited and afraid to show everyone how much hard work and time they had put into their miming ministry.

Despite the one-hundred plus degree weather the youth, dressed in black pants, white t-shirts and suspenders, performed wonderfully. Parents who hadn’t had the opportunity to watch the youth practice were astounded when they saw their young mimes performing for the first time. Were these really their children showing the love of Jesus on that stage? By the end of their second performance the youth were exhausted, but very pleased that they had done their best to minister to the crowd.

Before their performance, the youth were reminded that even if there is only one person in the crowd who this message makes an impact on, it was worth all those months of work. The youth fully agreed.

on Sep. 1 2008 at 8:55 pm
Excellent article. Unbelievably well written for someone so young. It's awesome to hear about young people giving their time and energy to spread the Gospel.

on Aug. 28 2008 at 10:39 pm
Very well written! It should be in a magazine for sure!

shilobaby said...
on Aug. 27 2008 at 11:18 pm
What a wonderful article! It is exciting to hear of such dedication from a teen to convey the love of Christ and their enthusiasm to do so! Brianna's article is well written and refreshing.

Marilee said...
on Aug. 27 2008 at 3:31 pm
Nicely done Brianna!

ginnyr2 said...
on Aug. 27 2008 at 2:55 pm
I was very impressed by the professional skits given. It was obvious that these kids were performing to save souls and not for praise although they are VERY talented. What a blessing!!

urez2read said...
on Aug. 27 2008 at 3:16 am
Keep up the good work. You're an exceptional writer.