The Trendy Three: a Vignette | Teen Ink

The Trendy Three: a Vignette

August 16, 2008
By Anonymous

The three of us, we were inseparable. Trips to the mall, trips to the City. My house on Friday, her house on Saturday, talking in the hallways between each class at school. They knew my secrets, I knew theirs. Borrowing each others’ clothes, always on the phone. And we called ourselves the Trendy Three.
The first one, she was the pretty one, a porcelain doll. She had it all, but she always wanted more. Jealous, envious. The other one had everything. The big house, the pool, the expensive clothes, but didn’t believe in herself. Insecure, uncertain.

When school started again, nothing was the same. The porcelain doll had cracked. A whole other group of friends, a new “trendy three.” Doing them favors, hoping they’ll like her. Waiting around for their call, saying what they wanted her to say, criticizing the ones she really liked, until everything she was become a complete fib. The other one had become a whole new person. The lovable, considerate girl had transformed into a monster, a snake waiting to strike at anyone who came too close.
What ever happened to the “Trendy Three?” The trips to the mall, the phone calls that never ended. Does that matter? My house, your house, hallways, secrets. How can you forget it all? How can you pretend to be someone your not so others will like you? How can you attack the ones who had once been your best friends, your sisters? And when you turn around, you see the ones who knew you best are left standing in the dust, miles behind you, and in front of you is a wall made of lies.