Another Piece of the Games | Teen Ink

Another Piece of the Games

August 5, 2008
By Kaitlyn Tsai BRONZE, Walnut, California
Kaitlyn Tsai BRONZE, Walnut, California
2 articles 3 photos 0 comments

On August 8, 2008, millions of people all over the world will gather around their televisions, computers, and perhaps even the stadium at Beijing, China to root for their native homeland country in the 29th Summer Olympic Games. This year is expected to be one of the most intense competitions seen in Olympic history. Already, numerous of records have been broken at the Olympic Trials and it is expected that the trend will continue. Many new faces will show up in the Games, some as young as sixteen years old. Others will be returning faces. Michael Phelps, who is known for his six gold medals back in 2004 will again be at the swimming competition. He has already broken several records in the Olympic trials. "I don't want to have another summer where I'm not happy afterward," says Phelps. The twenty-year old, along with many of the competitors, have worked tirelessly in the last four years, and are just about ready to head to Beijing this year in hopes of winning a commendable medal.





The Olympics first originated (officially) back in 776 B.C. However, legends have claimed that the games were first formed by Hercules, a heroic figure known to numerous of people today. It was said that he brought an olive tree to Olympia after defeating King Oenomaus in a chariot race. The account of the stories all vary, but whatever the story was, the Olympic Games became an enthusiastic event to many of the Greeks. In the early days, the Olympics took place in Olympia and occurred every four years. In those particular years, people would assemble and compete in several events. The games focused on masculinity and women were not allowed to participate. Athletes competed individually not as members of a country or group. The people who joined experienced games in running, chariot racing, horse racing, boxing, wrestling, and a pentathlon (which was where today’s activities such as long jump, hurdles, etc. are derived from). Those who were caught cheating would be forced to construct heavy statues of Zeus. The original games consisted of many aristocrats and higher class citizens. Eventually, as time passed, the games spread into a more diverse event. Different countries began assembling and were modified until what the Olympics today are.



History of the Olympic Games remains vague to this very day. However, it must not be forgotten that through the past, the Olympics have been a timeline of history and a representation of hard work, talent and perseverance. As the years progress, new faces, new people, and new traditions will come into play, but the spirit of the Olympic Games will not change. On August 8, 2008, the Olympic legacy will continue to mark its point in history.

The author's comments:
Just several days ago, I came back from a camp located in Sacramento, California. We were given a program book of all the participants. I took the time to glance through it and realized in amazement how many people in the world were able to contribute something at such a young age. Being a high schooler, I wanted to make a difference too. I spent hours thinking of what I could do to give a little in return of what the world has provided me today. I knew that I enjoyed writing so I decided to look up methods of submitting my writing into a magazine or newspaper. I came accross this website and thought that it was an excellent oppurtunity to express my concerns, interests, and many more.