Eating Disorder | Teen Ink

Eating Disorder

December 14, 2012
By rhardesty2 BRONZE, Wyandotte, Oklahoma
rhardesty2 BRONZE, Wyandotte, Oklahoma
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Take it one day at a time, one temptation at a time, one meal at a time, but do something now”, said Christian singer, Mandisa. There are many types of health disorders. One type that affects people of all ages regardless of sex, ethnic background, economic, or social status and is often hidden from family and friends is eating disorders. Eating disorders have been dated as far back as the twelfth century. These disorders are damaging to health and can cause problems that will affect the person for life. This behavior is usually accompanied by depression, substance abuse, or anxiety disorders. Millions of people are suffering health issues due to the obsession with food resulting in a person falling victim to the main eating disorders of bulimia, anorexia, or binge eating.
Anorexia nervosa is the loss of appetite for food. This type of eating disorder usually affects young women. People are often terrified of gaining weight and refuse to maintain a certain weight. People who suffer from this disorder may exercise excessively and not take in enough calories. The continuance of this type of behavior can result in malnutrition. Once someone becomes anorexic, only about half will fully recover.
Bulimia nervosa is an emotional disorder, often done in secret, in which extreme overeating is followed by depression and self-induced vomiting, purging, or fasting. This also mainly occurs in girls and young women but can occur in males. Bulimia is a psychological disorder like anorexia. Those who have the disorder are concerned with body shape and weight.
A binge eater is someone who constantly consumes large amounts of food in a short amount of time. This is caused by emotional distress whether the person is stressed, sad, or has recently gone through a trauma. Binge eaters are often embarrassed about their eating habits. They eat until they are uncomfortable, when not hungry, and are emotionally unstable. People with this eating disorder are usually overweight because of their unhealthy eating habits. They are not comfortable with their bodies and have low self-esteem.
Anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating are complex eating disorders and frequently occur with other psychiatric illness and usually result in severe health issues. Recognizing and dealing with these disorders is very important. These disorders are treatable, but it is a lifelong process requiring constant support. The whole person needs to be treated, physically and emotionally. An eating disorder is more than what a person eats or refuses to eat.


The author's comments:
Works Cited
"Anorexia Nervosa." The Free Dictionary. Farflex, n.d. Web. 6 Dec. 2012.
"Types of Eating Disorders." Eating Disorders Online. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Dec. 2012. <http://www.eatingdisordersonline.com/explain/index.php>.