Second Chance | Teen Ink

Second Chance

“Hey you right there!” beckons the officer to the frantic teens

“Who us, Officer?” I replied with a rock in my throat

“Are you guys aware of what time it is?” the police man questioned

“No sir,” we replied in unison

“Well around the Houston area there is a 12 o’clock for minor that means under 17 years of age.”

We were not aware of that,” my chubby little cousin remarks with an attitude bursting out of her like a raging fire coming from a volcano

The officer paused, raised his eyebrow, scratched that empty lot on top of his head, and rubbed his notepad that was by his side. He looked at his ticket book---looked at us ---looked at the ticket book.

“I would usually write a citation, but this time I’ll let you ladies go.”

“Thank you, Officer,” we sighed in relief

Boy, that night was so ridiculously fun until that moment .I knew being a minor and being out past twelve wasn’t going to be good, but you know teenagers are hardheaded. The moment I saw that officer I thought, man, this can not be happening. A light show of red and blue flashed before me. My heart started beating so fast and hard as though it was going to pop through my shirt. The only reason I was out that late is because I was at someone else’s house, I knew I couldn’t walk in my mom’s house that late. My mom doesn’t play that at all. I can already imagine it right now as I drift away standing on the side walk.

He looked like a mere thirty or forty, stocky, with a shiny bald head like polished black leather, a belt full of instruments, and a sky blue shirt whose buttons were about to run away from the linen . He was a big man with a big heart. His name was Officer Sampson. He was not you average officer. What made him so different was that he believed in second chances. if he had not given me a second chance, I would not be here today to tell this triumphant tale.

Ring! Ring! I gazed at the caller id of my cell phone and it my mom. Bullets of nervous sweat popped on my forehead from being so nervous. I didn’t answer. My excuse was going to be that I was sleep. Even though it was a lie, it was were I was supposed to be at this time of morning. The next morning I checked my messages. The most vital voicemail I was lurking for was the one my mom had left on the phone.

“Hi sweetheart, I know it’s late and I must be out of my mind, but I was riding down the street and I saw an officer talking to some young girls and it made me call you because one of the girls resembled you. What am I thinking it couldn’t have been you because you know the rules sorry for being so paranoid love you bye.”

Boy, I will never do that again. I learned a couple of things during this episode of bad behavior. I learned that parents do not set and enforce rules for no reason for just to ruin lives from not having fun. I also found out that all minor under the age of eighteen have a city wide curfew. This experience also changed my views of policeman. I used to think that all policemen were rude; I feel now that they are out to help us.