The Dangers of Alcohol | Teen Ink

The Dangers of Alcohol

By kaykay1247 BRONZE, West Monroe, New York
kaykay1247 BRONZE, West Monroe, New York

As a high school student, I’ve come to the realization that many kids turn to alcohol to solve their problems or just to have a good time. What they may not realize is turning to alcohol can really affect them. Studies have shown that teens who start drinking at a young age are more likely to become alcoholics in the future. Not only this, but alcohol can really do damage to someone’s body. If a person drinks too much alcohol, they can possibly be subjected to something called alcohol poisoning. Alcohol poisoning is when a person has consumed so much alcohol, their blood level is considered toxic. Alcohol poisoning can be very life-threatening and a lot of times people who suffer from it end up hospitalized. Drinking too much can also result in liver disease. Alcohol slows the function of the central nervous system; meaning the body will not be able to function correctly under intoxication. It messes with a person’s motor skills and causes people to do things they normally wouldn’t do. Not only this, but overuse of alcohol can cause people to lose coordination, have slurred speech, and greatly decrease a person’s reaction time to something.
On average, someone dies every twenty minutes in an alcohol-related motor vehicle accident. 60% of all fatal car accidents with teens are alcohol related. If a teen gets caught with alcohol, they could go to prison. Some colleges will not give out loans to students who have a record for possession of alcohol. Drinking alcohol is a bad choice. There are other ways to have fun! If a person is resorting to alcohol to solve their problems, there are better ways to help. They should seek out advice from others instead. Alcohol can and potentially will make things worse in the long run. Overall, underage drinking can be dangerous for personal health and the well-being of others. Don’t let others influence you to do bad things, do what you think is right.