Best Friends Forever | Teen Ink

Best Friends Forever

Best friends forever; that little saying that just didn’t keep us together. I wish our friendship would go back to its stronger days when our “hi’s” were screams of happiness and hugs were of excitement. Instead, we pass by with a wave of acknowledgement and a glance in the other direction.

I will never forget my first day in the hot and muggy Frolio Junior High gymnasium. My gym class had only a few students that I knew and others who were from different elementary schools. We met in kind of an awkward way when a girl tripped in gym. There was dead silence, except for the giggles of me and her. That might seem cruel, but we both weren’t laughing at her but only because we laugh when we are nervous. She was quiet and shy at first, but when you got to meet her, boy was she loud and outgoing. From that moment on, we were inseparable.

Being together twenty-four seven made us even closer. After school, we found ourselves jamming to songs by Britney Spears, a singer who at the time wasn’t as popular anymore with kids our age. Being considered cool to others meant nothing to us. As long as we were happy, you could still find us screaming lyrics to “hit me baby one more time”. When we were bored out of our minds, we would take our cameras and go walking around town. We had the best time because the random pictures we took reminded us of the wacky days we had. This one day we took a picture while riding a little red wagon that we found. Another time we saw this totem pole on someone’s yard and we ran up to it and took more ridiculous pictures. Days like these when we were quirky and wild were fun.

Have you ever had someone really close to you be able to know what you’re thinking without you having to say a word? Well, we had that sort of funky connection. If I were looking at something strange, I could just look at her and we would burst out in laughter. Almost everyday we hung out telling secrets and making promises. She was like a sister to me and our friendship was unbreakable. When her parents were divorcing and things were tough at home, I would stay on the phone for hours with her. Sometimes just us talking made it seem like all our problems went away. Through it all, I was always there for her and no matter what she always found time for me too. Although my problems weren’t as important as hers, she still treated them like they were. For instance, when I was upset that I didn’t make the basketball team after practicing and preparing for a whole summer, she would tell me, “It’s their loss.” Somehow, she always found a way to cheer me up. I can’t think of one time that we were sad or mad for more then ten minutes around each other. Not once did we fight or spread lies about each other.

Our friendship was pure and one I thought would last for a long time. Now we barely even talk, and photos are merely a remembrance of the good times we had together. There was no specific problem that ruined our friendship; it just wasn’t as strong as it used to be. Plans we make just never seem to happen. Either she would forget to call or I would just make other plans after hours of waiting. She went from best friend, to friend, to what now seems like just an acquaintance. Our happiness and excitement faded away like our childish promises we mad to be best friends forever.