Graduation Speech | Teen Ink

Graduation Speech

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be," Shakespeare would say. However, I disagree with this quote because as Earl of Beaconsfield said, "The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes." If a person doesn't know what they may be, than how will he recognize and be ready for his opportunity? Perhaps Shakespeare's quote is true with some schools, but not with Del Mar Hills Academy of Arts and Science. Del Mar Hills Academy of Arts and Science is truly the academy of arts and science. It provides a wonderful arts and science program that allows students to explore their surroundings and unleash their creativity. The teachers encourage each of us, student's specialty and uniqueness and help each and every one of us lay out their future's path.

However there comes a time to leave every school and Del Mar Hills is no exception. Now is the time we are graduating from Del Mar Hills. We will all miss this school, however the important thing to remember is that graduation is not the end of the whole picture, it is only the end of a small part of a picture. Every time you graduate you move to a next part of your life. Graduation means that you are growing; you are ready to take another step into your life.

During the seven years, since kindergarten the teachers at Del Mar Hills have taught us so much. Not only did they teach us math and reading, but they have taught us life lessons. They have taught us to never give up, always go for your highest goal and to be confident about whom you are. These lessons are priceless and do a great amount of help through out your life. "The things taught in schools and colleges are not an education, but the means of education," Ralph Waldo Emerson once said. Also Virgil M. Hancher pointed out that, "The great value of formal education is that it is designed to foreshorten human experience. It endeavors with ease and economy to bring each succeeding generation up to date with respect to the past, and to make it at home in the world. In this sense, it prepares each generation for life." And that is exactly what the teachers at Del Mar Hills did -- give every one of us a formal education that will prepare us for life.

Yet so much things and great memories happened in Del Mar Hills that words can't describe it. From our sixth grade musical to sixth grade camp. We did so much in the past few years, that it would be nearly impossible to list it all. Looking back at the memories of the first day of kindergarten, where we clung tightly to our parents, afraid to meet our new teacher, we apprehended how much we have grown. Now teachers and parents sit in front of us, proudly watching our graduation.

This is a graduation speech I wrote for my elementary graduation. I would like to show people that although graduating and going to a whole new school may seem scary; it really is a great and wonderful thing. Graduation is not the end; it is the end of the beginning.

reader123 said...
on Aug. 28 2008 at 2:33 am
This is a wonderful speech! Keep writing.