Waiting for my Prince | Teen Ink

Waiting for my Prince

I walk through the halls filled with high school students and catch bits of conversation all about one subject, not one they teach in class but rather one taught by the students. Two girls walk past, one describing her new crush as the other looks on adoringly, picturing herself in her friend's shoes. A pretty girl runs past, hitting my shoulder as if I'm not even there, tears streaming down her cheeks and fogging her vision. A group of girls chase after her reassuring her that there are more fish in the sea. The pretty girls' best friend slaps the guy who dumped her friend squarely on the cheek and tells him he's a dog. A foot away a guy turns to his girlfriend and tells her that will never happen to them, but I've heard him say that to his other girl several times before. Another couple stands not too far away kissing each other romantically as they began their time together. I stand in the middle of hormone city wishing I too could feel this love.
A boyfriend is something I've not yet had, but something I've yearned for every since I've turned thirteen. I have wanted a boyfriend since the day I stepped into sixth grade, my first year of middle school, and found out everyone had a boyfriend. Every year, I walk into school the first day telling myself I won't be single anymore and come out at the end of the year still boyfriendless.
I don't know why I've never been asked out or why I am the only girl in high school who has never been kissed. I don't think I'm particularly ugly, while I do know I'm not a beauty queen either. I'm an average teenager, if I may say so myself, and I don't think I'm too unusual or strange. I am known to be a little shy, {okay. okay. more than a little shy} but it's not like I've never put myself out there, I have asked out a guy before {I don't think I have to tell you his answer}.
I know that my prince is going to come one day, I have little doubt about that, my question is when? As much as I hate to admit it, I am a loyal believer of fairytales and I believe every love story has a happy ending, therefore I'll wait as long as I have to for my prince charming to come sweep me off my feet. So what if true love isn't all what it's made up to be? I plan on making the best out of what I get.
God has promised us that our life is in his hands and I know that I don't have to worry about not getting what I need. Although I know my guy will come I can't help but to feel sorry for myself when a perfect couple walk past arm in arm or when all of my friends are out on dates and I'm watching a movie all alone on a Friday night. Everyone always says guys are nothing but trouble and as much as I believe them I must ask how far will a high school girl go for a bucket of trouble?
For all you other boyfriend virgins out there remember our day will come, just maybe not yet. Please, don't ever lower yourself to fit in, not every girl can be a guy magnet and not every guy wants the magnets. We will all get our prince charming when the time is right and no matter what anyone tells you, you don't have to have a guy to make you complete, as long as you think of yourself as pretty, then you won't need anyone else.
I spent many years wondering if something was wrong with me because with as many crushes as I've had, no one ever seemed to return the feeling. I realize now that it wasn't me, on the outside at least, but me on the inside. On the outside I consider myself to be pretty average, but on the inside I had lost all my self- respect because I listened and took to heart what everyone else said about me. Now, I believe I'm beautiful. I know I'm not Miss America, but I wouldn't consider myself Ugly Betty either. To me the outside doesn't matter, it's what's inside that counts.
So, what will it hurt if I must wait a while longer before I get asked out? Life isn't going to end if I graduate from high school without a boyfriend and I still plan on going through life with my head up high, even if I am the only girl at prom without a date. I'm going to enter my sophomore year when school starts again and I'm vowing not to let guys rule my life this year. I don't want to come home crying every day because my crush said he liked my sister or because the cute guy asked my friend out. If a guy does ask me, then I'll be happy, but that doesn't mean he has to be the center of my life. It's okay to be single; we will all get our chance.