Captain Tory | Teen Ink

Captain Tory

July 14, 2008
By Anonymous

In a little town in England, a family was packing to leave for America for a new life. The youngest son, Peter, sat in his room, for the last time, starring out his window at his neighborhood. He sat thinking about his friends and school, not wanting to leave. Silently, a tear rolled down his pale white face. He wiped it away with a shirt sleeve. He heard his mom calling him to bring his suitcase downstairs. “I’m coming,” he said. He drug the suitcase down what he thought to be about 100 steps and flung it right out the front door to the car. He realized he forgot his pillow and ran up the stairs. He didn’t realize his parents thought he was in the car. They left without him. He ran down the stairs and out the front door. Peter couldn’t see the car. He looked toward the church and saw it driving by. He ran down the street after it. But they never saw him. By the time he got to the docks (20 miles away), the boat was gone. He stood by the fence in a long black trench coat and black pants, holding a lantern. He swung his lantern three times and slowly the schooner appeared.

The little boy stood terrified. A million questions ran through his head. Was that the right boat? Would he ever see his family again? How would his parents react? Would they be mad? He knew that his only chance of seeing his family again was getting on this boat.

The fog was covering everything like white blanket. The sky was pitch black. No stars or moon in sight. The buildings lit up the water. The boat moved toward the fence. The little boy couldn’t see anyone that was on it. The voices he heard were eerie and didn’t seem pleasant. He wandered now what they were yelling about. Had he done something. No…he couldn’t have done something. They didn’t even know him. He looked at the old man with the beard and thought to himself why is he starring at the boat like he has just seen a ghost? The saw that this was not the right boat. This was a…pirate boat! The man suddenly turned white, dropped the lantern and ran. The boy stood astonished and unsure of what to do. He had no idea why the man had left him with the pirates coming . He saw the face if one turned around and ran. He kept thinking I’ll never see my family again if I get on that boat. The air was cold and damp. The boy was clammy and sweating from fright. The boy ran into the street and then up a hill past the old man and was never heard from again. To this day no one knows what happened to the him. Not even the old man. And as for the pirates…well who knows what happened to them. I bet no one really care though.


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece in my writing class this summer. We had to look at a picture with a title and one line from the story it belonged with and write a story of our own.