A Little Inspiration Goes a Long Way | Teen Ink

A Little Inspiration Goes a Long Way

This past year seemed like it was never going to end, but now that it is Summer I can not help but think that wasn't so bad. I have not yet faced my Junior, but if I made it through this one, I truly believe I can do anything. You see, this year was especially hard, not because of my school work, but because I lost a dear friend in a tragic drunk driving accident. The night I found out is too devastating to put into words. She was doing nothing of the sorts wrong, she was only driving home from work. There aren't many precautions that we can take as drivers to prepare for something such as that other than drive safely and wear a seat belt. Though this accident brought on a lot of hardships and sadness, it also brought the reality so many face everyday. So, I am now urging everyone, teenagers and adults alike, to teach the ones you love of the devastating effects drunk driving can have on a community. My community will never be the same, but if we join together in making this a worthy cause, we too can save lives like heroes. I have made it my personal goal to spread awareness about this, and show everyone reality the best way i know how. No words can describe the loss this family has felt losing their 17 year old daughter, but if we can take that and turn it into something that can help then we should do it without hesitations. The next you go out to a party or anywhere that you know drinking is involved be cautious. I know as a teenager myself, underage drinking is sometimes unavoidable, but it doesn't mean you have to take part in it. Have fun and make sure that no one drives anywhere after drinking. Even if it means calling their parents for a ride. Take this as a warning, it hurts to lose someone you love, but if you do your part to prevent it maybe you can save lives of others that are potentially threatened.