Renovations | Teen Ink

Renovations

The weather wasn’t as bad as usual, but Edward wasn’t going to be happy when he heard about what I saw. Keeping my thoughts clouded around him wasn’t difficult, but he would know when I was trying. I was bound to slip up somewhere. I could recall the whole day today, when I saw it….
Rosalie was talking to Emmett about how beautiful she was, and as usual Emmett chuckled but stopped short as soon as the glare was shot from his wife. Edward didn’t show up, he was starting the “camping” trip early, or was supposed to be. And Jasper needed him more than ever to control what he was thinking. I was only too happy that Edward was gone at home, probably composing another song for Esme. The vision was so fast it came at the most random moment. I saw what she was becoming. Bella was going to get bit by someone. A visitor, wait no, a nomad. She was in a white blouse, and had on some faded blue jeans. No one was there to save her; Edward needed to get involved with her quick! I thought.
As soon as I walked in the door, I saw Edward, and I tried to cloud my thoughts with worrying about Jasper, which wasn’t too hard- seeming I was always worrying about him.
It was almost Friday and soon I would have to talk to Edward, and it needed to be quick and brief. I was going to need to get away. He was bound to be upset.
Edward, I only spoke in my head- Edward could read my mind, and everyone else’s- when I didn’t want everyone to know what I was thinking or what was going to happen, I need to talk to you, like now. He came quickly; I knew it sounded like it was a matter of life and death.
“Yes, Alice what’s going on?” on?” Edward spoke low, and with a sound of urgency. “What did you see? Did Jasper get into something? Did I do something? Alice! Tell me.”
Bella’s going to become one of us. Anger flickered across his face then slowly- very slowly- it went to a composed, frustrated look.
“When?” He finally spoke after several minutes, through clenched teeth.
“I’m not sure. Most likely around spring break. But like I said, I’m not sure nor can I be. Edward, now more than ever you have to get involved with than ever you have to get involved with her,” I knew he wasn’t happy, but with Jasper a few feet away Edward could afford to relax a little.
The door opened, and in came my Jasper, with the others following. They all knew what I was talking about- Rosalie had spoken to them. I should never have told them what I saw in the boring lunchroom- at school.
“Alice, we need to keep a closer eye on nomads that are curious about us,” Carlisle spoke this time with respect and a little bit of fear for the poor Bella Swan.
“I know Carlisle. I know. I can’t see them coming for at least another month or two,” I shook my head with great distaste.
“Edward, I want you involved to get involved with her. I don’t want this to happen to her.” Esme spoke softly but with a motherly tone, while she gestured to her body.
“I was already planning to. I don’t know why, but I have to keep her safe,” he struggled with saying the rest but he got it out- slower than usual. “I have been going to her house at night. She said my name a few times- well more like a lot. But I know that I can’t let what has happened to us, happen to her. It’s going to be hard. Jasper, keep your distance from her.” He definitely had some problems with this. He truly cared for her.
“Got it.” Jasper was quick to answer.
Edward, I spoke softly in my head. Please, I’m begging you to be careful around her. I want to meet her. I smiled as I thought the last part in my mind.
He practically growled at me, but nodded instead.
Rosalie just stalked off and hated the fact that Bella would soon be finding out about us, if Edward allowed her to.
“I’m going to need to hunt more often. She smells too good, and I don’t know if I can survive without feeding around her for a long period of time,” Edward shook his head in shame.
You’ll be okay, I promised him in my thoughts. “Just do what you have to,” I spoke aloud this time so the others would know what I was telling him.
He just nodded and walked out of the room.
All I could do was just hope that he was going to be okay with this.
With the way that he was walking told me that something was eating at him, from the inside. I had to talk to him.
I walked slowly toward his room, so I could talk to him.
“Come in Alice,” he spoke sullenly.
“Edward, please tell me what’s wrong. I can’t stand seeing you like this. It’s eating at me. I need to know what is going on. Edward! Listen to me!” I pleaded.
“Alice I think I might actually love her. I don’t know what to do, I can’t leave her alone. I have to see her…..Now.”
I stared at him shocked. I never would have thought that he would fall in love with someone, much less a human.
It made me smile.
I wanted to tell Esme, but knew I should keep my mouth shut.
Go to her. I wanted him to be happy, because I had to live with him for the rest of my life.
“Alice!” He snapped at me.
Oops.
“Oops is right! I can’t believe you! You…..you little…. UGHHH! Just go away!” He had his hands balled into fists at his sides. He definitely wasn’t going to do anything rash.
I scurried out of the room. I didn’t want to be the one to cause Edward to have to pull himself back together from the pieces he’d be in. If he hurt me- Jasper would kill him.
I was soon in our room, trying to sneak up on Jasper. The next thing I knew, he was hugging me, and kissing my neck with the sweetest of kisses. I rolled my eyes. He was such a suck up. I grabbed his hand, and pulled him toward the couch.
“Why are you being a little suck up at the moment?”
He practically blushed- even though that was impossible. “I just missed you, that’s all,” he shrugged, and gave a little embarrassed smile.
“You always miss me. But it’s okay, because I like it, wait no, I love it.”
I grabbed the towel from off the back of the chair and headed for the shower. Jasper tried to follow. “No you get to stay out here mister. No shower with me tonight.”
He did his little sad frown with the puppy dog eyes. It always made me want to cry. Grrrrrrrrr it was so frustrating. I shook my head, but stopped short.
It flashed through my head like crazy. As soon as it was over I was frozen with shock and fear. The nomad wasn’t going to changing Bella to a vampire, it was Edward.
“Alice, what’s going on? What did you see?” Jasper’s voice was low and quick, and right by my ear.
“Edward…..not a nomad. Edward. I saw it all wrong! Oh no. Oh no. Jasper?” I was slurring my words and stuttering a little bit.
“What? What are you talking about? Alice! Talk to me.”
“Edward’s going to change her. Not the nomad that I thought it was. It was Edward all along. I wouldn’t see it, or more so I couldn’t and didn’t want to see it,” I was shaking from fear, and frustration at myself.