Intruders in the Night | Teen Ink

Intruders in the Night

December 10, 2007
By Anonymous

The darkness of night filled the room. Four adolescent souls sat ignorant to what was to come. They were unaware that they were no longer alone. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! Someone was at the back door. Each child’s stomach dropped to the floor. Slightly quivering, Leah cautiously looked out the window. Perchance her parents had finally arrived home. To her dismay, the driveway remained empty. Frightful stares were exchanged. Silence took over the cramped room. Who was it? What did they want? Millions of questions ran threw their heads, but all remained unanswered. The terrified children whispered sharing their dreadful thoughts.

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! Yet again, a ruckus occurred. This time the commotion didn’t come from the back door, but from the downstairs bathroom. Leah leaped onto her bed with her other three friends. All were shivering and huddled close. Fear was found in each pair of eyes. All were about to go into a panic. Cell phones were held close, debating who was best to call.
Leah called her parents begging them to return home, they were already on their way.

Everything was still in the house. A pin dropping would easily be heard. THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! There was more than one visitor. Both were slowly creeping up the stairs. The friends all held each other close utterly petrified. The footsteps drew closer and closer to the bedroom door. In a flash the door powerfully swung open. Standing in the doorway were two grinning faces. The children smiled from ear to ear. These in fact weren’t intruders, but their best friends trying to play a joke.