What I Know Fo Sho | Teen Ink

What I Know Fo Sho

Reading immerges me into a world I never knew existed. The moment my eye interprets those carefully detailed words on a page, is the moment my brain separates itself from the outside world. Words are like paint, they draw an image inside your head. In certain cases, I’m so into my story that it seems it is the only world I know. It’s Narnia’s closet turned into a book. The book that recently made me visit its depths is “Sphere” by Michael Crichton. The other night, I was in my bed reading the book for 5 hours, I just couldn’t put the book down. As New York Times would say, “It’s a page turner!”

It was a day full of fatigue, but I managed to somehow take that book, and read it for 5 hours straight until I fell asleep with the dim light on and the book in my lap. I had noticed that night that my parents had come home, but I didn’t actually realize there were in my presence. I just disregarded the fact that they were there, and kept running my eyes over the pages. I needed to find out if Norman or Harry died or not.
My brother is able to play with Lego’s alone, making tactical wars with Lego men; with a storyline and sound effects. I know why though, he grew up as an only child, while he was young, whereas I grew up with a twin sister (we do have E.S.P.). My brother didn’t have someone to play with, so he found his own way to entertain himself. I need other things to entertain myself now, like video games, TV, and of course, books.

So, in a way, imagination is entertainment. An ominous example of this is plunging my mind into a good book. Reading brings my mind into different worlds, and depending on how the book makes me turn its pages, I get sucked into that world I want to know more about. I just finished reading “Sphere” now, and the reason I love his literature is because he uses his gift of writing to somehow convince me that things are possible in fictional books. He explains everything so scientifically, that he makes me believe that his story is actually real. When I open the book “Sphere”, I actually think there is an human spaceship from the future under the Pacific Ocean; I actually think there it is possible to be an alien sphere that gives you the power to think of something, and making it come to life. I would really like to somehow imitate his writing, so I can have better writing skills. I want the reader to sink his/her into my pitiful story, so I can have the pleasure to receive a “Great story Lucas!” or “I couldn’t put down your book!” I know there are other authors out there, but Michael is my idol. I’ve read from disparate author, but none of them intrigue me as much as Crichton. I know for sure that I need to proceed from my addiction to my favorite author’s books, and take a different road and explore all the different worlds out there that are waiting to be opened.

I’ve realized that I need to continue my passion of reading. From the experience I had a couple nights ago, I’ve come to recognize that TV screens aren’t the only thing out there to trigger my brain’s ability to form images in my cranium. Books are more effective at putting ideas inside your head. In conclusion, the books are mental gateways to your imagination.