illigal immigrants | Teen Ink

illigal immigrants

October 5, 2012
By Aracely SILVER, Grove, Oklahoma
Aracely SILVER, Grove, Oklahoma
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Aracely Aguirre
Mrs. Frecek
AP English 11-1
Sep. 23, 2012





Illegal Immigrants

I hear people talking badly about Hispanics all the time. Those people are ignorant and don’t know what it’s like and what it takes to get to America just to have a better life for themselves as well as for their families. There are also some people who come here and don’t work and do things they shouldn’t. However, there are also American citizens who are just as bad, and no one ever says anything about them. It’s ironic that people always blame “Mexicans” for everything when really they might not even come from Mexico. There are also illegal immigrants who come here from Central America and South America as well as other counties.

Different people come here from different places everyday. Everyone comes here for the same reason, though. It’s a shame that immigrants are judged for coming here when the only thing they want is to have a better life for themselves and their families. Everyone always talks so well about America, and it truly is the American Dream for some people to come here. Everyone should have the opportunity to be happy and free. Some people don’t have the money to even eat, and that is why people want to come here just to be able to eat. A lot of us take everything for granted: having clean water, being able to express yourself, and most importantly to be able to leave your house in America knowing that you will always be safe. The police are always there when you need them.

It takes a lot for people to come here. Over one million come here yearly. The men leave wives and children behind to send them money so they can buy food, school supplies, clothing, and clean water. Sometimes, the whole family will come along with the man, but sometimes it’s impossible. It is very hard to come here and very risky. Of course they don’t care if it’s risky or not. They just want the best for their families, and this is one way they can do that.

Immigrants face a lot of problems when coming here. One of the problems is dehydration which kills more immigrants than anything else. Another problem they face is when the border patrol chases them, They try to run away and they end up getting shot or so lost they can’t find their way out and starve to death. Some die when they try crossing through the Rio Grande or the ocean and they end up drowning.

Potential immigrants face problems, and many die just to live the American Dream. Only the people who have lived through this know that everything they do is worth it. Next time you hear someone talking badly about Hispanics, let them know everything it takes to get here, all the sacrifice it takes, and all the problems they face.