A Life Changing Expirience | Teen Ink

A Life Changing Expirience

October 4, 2012
By jackhogan BRONZE, Auburn, New York
jackhogan BRONZE, Auburn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Jack Hogan








Mrs. Jacobs
English 10








9/17/12


In October of 2007, when I was 11 years old, my mother opened a restaurant called Make & Take Gourmet. My brothers and I began helping my mother out shortly thereafter. By her starting this business, I learned very valuable life lessons such as how to work hard and family loyalty by helping out in any way possible. Even though it was hard, and at times I didn’t want to be there, it was the right thing to do for the sake of my family.

At first, Make & Take Gourmet was a lot of fun for my family and me. My mom was living her dream by owning a business. I got all the food I wanted for free (which I thought was pretty cool) and I had a great relationship with all the employees. The pleasure of being around a food business is a memory I will never forget. I would go there every day after school to do my homework and attempt to make my after school snack in the kitchen. Then while eating, I would go on the computer at the front desk and play different games until I beat them. In the beginning it was a lot of fun.

Approximately a year after we opened everything changed. Our country was going through a severe recession and our business was suffering because of it. One by one, my mom had to let employees go. This I when my brothers and I really had to pitch in and help. The fun and happy business was not so fun and happy anymore.

Within six months my family became the sole employees of the business. My grandmother (my mom’s mom) came once a week to help out with everything. This is when I started to learn valuable life lessons. I would go to the restaurant every day after school and get my homework done right away. After completing my homework, I would go and back and start preparing foods. I would also make “to go” dinners for the front cooler and provide customer service to those who needed it. Whatever my mom needed done is what I would do. I didn’t always want to be there, but I knew it was helping out my parents, and that made the work much easier. As well, my mom would sometimes reward us with a couple bucks or taking us to Taco Bell as a “thank you” for the help. It was a very stressful time for my family.

I learned many different values such as a strong work ethic and strong customer service skills that will help me in life. The skills I learned are not normal skills a 11 year old learns to do and know. I also learned that everyone can be rewarded by hard work. However, the most important thing that I learned was how important family loyalty really is and if we worked hard together we could do anything. This experience made my family stronger as a whole.

The experience of my family owning a business has changed the way I look at things and has shaped who I am today. I have a better understanding of the business world now and know what it takes to own and run a business. This was truly a life changing experience.