How to make a fool of yourself in front of a famous person | Teen Ink

How to make a fool of yourself in front of a famous person

May 13, 2008
By Anonymous

In November of 2007, my family and I went to a Steven Curtis Chapman, Bethany Dillon and Sanctus Real concert for my mom’s birthday. During the intermission, we went out into the hallway and…Bam…the lead singer of Sanctus Real, Matt Hammitt, was right in front of me. I walked up to him and learned a valuable lesson: How to make a fool of yourself in front of a famous person.

1. Forget everything you planned to tell them.
Of course, like any fan I had these “What ifs” thought out in my head. For example, what if I get to actually meet Sanctus Real? What will I say? I planned to tell them that I had seen them three times in concert and really love them and their music…blah, blah, blah. Well, I walk up to Matt and I forgot everything I wanted to tell him. I was star struck.

2. Say something stupid.
I finally managed to say, “Can I get a picture with you?” Matt didn’t have a problem with it so my mom took the picture with my cell phone. After the picture, I couldn’t think of anything to say so I said, “Wow, you’re really tall!” Matt said, “You are really short.” That was the end of our wonderful conversation.

3. Lose the picture.
A few days later I was cleaning a doctor’s office that I clean every week and I dropped my phone in the toilet while cleaning it. The picture of Matt and I was gone forever. I cried more over the picture being gone than my phone being ruined. I was and still am upset.

I later left a message on Sanctus Real’s myspace telling them the whole story. Their sound guy emailed me, suggesting that I get high heels and said that he hopes I get another picture with Matt.

So that’s how it’s done. Follow these three simple steps and you will be sure to be embarrassed. Oh yeah, and your family will never let you live it down. That’s a promise. Good luck.