Will We Lose Him? | Teen Ink

Will We Lose Him?

May 8, 2008
By Anonymous

Scotty was going into the 7th grade. And in the summer before the 7th grade Scotty almost died.
We were at Lake Tapps about 6 weeks before school started. Scotty and I go to a school in Washington State called Nelson Crane Christian School (AKA-NCCS).
And my mom’s friend Eric was over with one of his friends. Eric is 23 years old. So he’s not the brightest tool in the shed. Meaning he’s not the smartest in the herd.
We had just got in the boat, (Eric, Eric's friend, my mom, my brother Scotty, and I.) my dad was on shore with a broken knee cap and torn ACL, we were near by to camp when we stopped to swim around the boat.
Eric is a dare devil, he does all sorts of stunts, and stupid things.
Eric came up with a great idea… (So he thought) his idea was for Scotty to do a back flip of the back of the boat! Great idea Right! NOT!
Scotty only being 12 years old thought that it was a great idea and climbed to the back of the boat.
Scotty and I both were I gymnastics when I was in the 3 + 4th grades, he was in 2nd and 3rd grade at the time. But we both passed on up to advance class. And we both knew how to swim we made it all the shark class at the YMCA.
Any ways Scotty climbed to the back of the boat and positioned his self facing in the boat. He flew up and, Bam, He hit!!
As a sister I was scared to death. My mom and I both just about had a heart attack...
Mom raced to the back of the boat ready to jump in and rescue him, but she stopped. She didn’t know where he was and she didn’t want to jump on to him. Finally after what seemed like 1 hour, he floated up, with a pool of blood around his head!
I was terrified, I screamed his name but he didn’t answer, he was unconscious! Mom pulled him out of the water so fast and shook him to wake him up; she was faster then a race horse!
He did wake up. Mean while Eric’s friend had been video taping this whole adventure on Eric's cell phone. We realized that Scotty had done a back dive in stead of a back flip. And he was not all the way on the back of the boat he was close but not close enough.
We put him in the boat and raced to our camp site, we left a wake.
A wake is a set of waves left behind the boat if you didn’t know.
Where we were camping we aren’t supposed to leave a wake, ever.
When we got in I had to jump in the water really fast and pull the boat in to shore so we could get Scotty on shore.
We got Scotty on shore and since I was only wearing my swimsuit I threw on a pair of short shorts and a tank top. The tents were already down.
My mom and dad had a little argument about whether or not to call a hospital. Luckily for Scotty she did.
They told my mom to bring him right in to the nearest ER (emergency room) because he could have brain damage.
So my mom and Eric hopped into Eric's truck and tore off the hospital with Scotty.
My dad, Eric's friend, and I were left to clean up camp quickly. And that is just what we did, we through all the stuff in the back of the truck. And then we loaded the boat on to the trailer.
Mean while on the way to the hospital Scotty wanted to keep going to sleep but he was not supposed to sleep. So Eric told Scotty that mom would buy him a Twinkie, he woke up. Mom said that Eric was going to buy Scotty a whole box of Twinkies, once again he woke up. Eric said that mom was going to buy Scotty a Twinkie and a slurpie. Mom said in reply that Eric was going to buy Scotty 3 boxes of Twinkies and a slurpie.
In the time that it took us to get to our house and dump the stuff in the driveway and leave it took a grand total of 20 minutes.
Dad and Eric's friend left, and I was at home alone for 4 hours!
In that time I cleaned Scotty’s room and my own room, and I played on the computer, and I called my very best friend Melissa (missy) and told her what happened.
And Scotty was such an emergency that he had to sit in the waiting room for 3 hours! That was a dumb moment on the hospitals part! Scotty was bleeding out of his head the whole time. And all they could do about it was put staple in it and give Scotty a cat scan. And yes I said staples. Scotty had a bruised brain so he would not remember quite clearly.
I was so thankful that his guardian angel was with him all the way through, because I didn’t want to lose him. And I really mean that as an older sister and a friend.