Cristiano Ronaldo | Teen Ink

Cristiano Ronaldo

May 20, 2008
By Anonymous

Cristiano Ronaldo


Cristiano Ronaldo was born in Fuchal, Portugal on February 5, 1985. His parents were Maria Dolores dos Santos Aveiro and Jose Dinis Aveiro. His father named him after the former president Ronald Regan because of his respect for him. Cristiano is the youngest of four brothers and sisters.
He started playing soccer when he was three. As a child his favorite team was SL Benfica even though later on he would join their rival Sporting FC. By the time he turned ten his reputation had grown quickly in Portugal. The top two Portuguese teams wanted to sign him, CS Maritmo and CD Nacional. He eventually signed with CD Nacional. After a winning season with them he went to a team camp with Sporting FC and then signed with them later on.
He joined Sporting’s others youth players at Alcohete the clubs youth camp. He was constantly taunted and mocked in Lisbon because of his accent. Ronaldo’s performance at the camp pleased the manager and trainers. He went on to play in the UEFA U-17 Championship where he gained notice from European teams. The first team to spot his talent was Liverpool when he was sixteen. But later on Liverpool declined him because they thought he was to young and needed time to develop. So Ronaldo went on to play with Sporting. Sporting opened its new field against a game with Manchester United. Sporting ended up winning 3-1. His skill set impressed the Manchester United players so much they talked to their coach about a possible transfer bid for him.
After some deep thought Sir Alex Ferguson the Manager/Coach of Manchester decided he wanted Ronaldo. They were already looking for a right midfielder after the departure of David Beckman so they signed him for an estimated 25 million dollars becoming the teams first Portuguese player. Ronaldo’s first appearance for the team was made as a substitute against Bolton scoring Manchester’s 1000th goal. The season continued and it was good in terms of winning.
In 2006 he and Ruud Van Nistelrooy had a confrontation which raised questions about their presence at the club. Ronaldo went on to sign a deal that would last until 2010 and Nistelrooy went on to the Scottish League. At the end of each season it became casual for rumors to start saying Ronaldo wanted to go to Real Madrid. Ronaldo then signed a five year extension in 2007.
He plays for the Portuguese National Team. He also represents Portugal in the summer Olympics. He was named captain of the Portuguese team in 2007 against the friendly match with Brazil as a death wish from the Portuguese Football Federation president.
That is his story for now we’ll see how it continues.