A Lesson Learned! | Teen Ink

A Lesson Learned!

Walking up to the casting list for Beauty and the Beast, my heart was pounding so fast I thought it would jump out of my body and run far away. I started to read the names at the bottom of the list, so I could leave the leading role last. As I drew closer and closer, I saw that I had not received the part of Belle. I felt as if I would die right then and there. The part that I was casted as was Babette, a supporting role. For awhile, I felt as though I could not perform my best because I did not receive the role I wanted. I soon learned that there is a reason for everything.

Even though I was devastated about not receiving Belle, I decided to make the best of it. Since my character was not on stage for long periods of time, I decided to take on the responsibility of stage manager. The stage manager is at every rehearsal, writing down everything, and helping with anything backstage. I was blessed by having an amazing cast and director to work with. I became close friends with everyone in the cast and realized that becoming stage manager allowed me to make these lasting bonds. As for my character, I came to love playing Babette. Yes it was not the role I wanted at all, but not getting the lead part was actually a life lesson in disguise.

After our second performance, I passed out backstage and went unconscious. I was told that everyone in the cast put their differences aside to make sure they were helping me some way. I was very thankful to hear that everyone cared so much about me. Being stage manager brought me closer to everyone in the cast. I started to think that receiving a small role was not as bad as I made it out to be. I always thought that if I was not at the top, then I was at the bottom. This experience taught me otherwise. I learned that in order to live life, you sometimes have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. After stepping back and taking a look at the picture, I saw that my disappointment was misplaced. Instead of being disappointed about not getting the lead role, I should have been disappointed in myself from the fact that I did not take the time to realize that everything happens for a reason.

This is sort of a thank you note. To the cast, for always being there when I needed you. You were the rock that held me up throughout our journey. My job as stage manager was made easier by all of you. To my family, for supporting me in whatever I have and will decided to do. I would also like to thank myself. For not stopping because I did not get what I wanted. If I had given up I would have missed out on all the great memories and all the wonderful people I have come to love. Lastly, I would like to thank the director Mr. Ipina. Working with you taught me how to listen and work with all my heart.

Life comes at you fast and in order to live it, you can not stop when you hit a wall. If you ever have road blocks in life, just remember they are only there to teach you to work for what you want.