Bike Wreck

May 18, 2008
By Cody Graham, Springfield, MO

Bike Wreck

When I was about ten years old, I had an experience that I will never forget. My brother, Trey, got into a bike wreck. Although I was not the one in the wreck, I was there and experienced every minute of it. It probably affected my brother more than me, but I still have my own views and feelings about the whole thing. I will always remember that fateful day because it was one of the most intense moments in my life.

One day after school, my brother, my father, and I decided to go for a walk. My brother and I would ride our bikes while my father jogged. Everything was in order, so we set out. While we were going, we noticed that a new subdivision was being built. We went in to look around and found some big dirt hills. Trey and I thought that it would be fun to ride down from the top of this really big hill. My father said that it would be ok, so we took our bikes up to the top. Trey wanted to go first, so I let him. Right before he went, he turned to me and said five words. “If I die, don’t follow.”

Trey took off down the hill and looked fine. However, once he neared the bottom, his bike started bouncing pretty violently. In the blink of an eye, he was launched from his bike and landed at the bottom of the hill. In my gut, I knew something was wrong. I knew that he had been hurt. I sprinted down the hill just as he immediately jumped to his feet and bolted to my dad. My father scooped him up in his arms and lifted his shirt on one side. All I could see was a hole. Trey had landed on a root sticking up from the ground. The root had penetrated his side about six inches and left a gaping whole. At this point in time, my mind scrambled. The adrenaline took over and I acted purely on instinct. I remember my father telling me to put the bikes somewhere and follow him. He took off toward the nearest house while I ran all the way back to the top of the hill and brought my bike down. I then threw both of the bikes in a ditch and dashed in the direction my father headed. We made it home and got my mom and older brother. Then we flew to the hospital.

When we arrived at the hospital, my older brother, Jason, and I were ushered into the waiting area. We simply sat down and watched the television which was playing “Three’s Company.” We had no idea what was happening to our brother and we were scared. My mom and dad came out and explained to us that Trey was going into surgery and that the surgeon was a good family friend. His family was going to take Jason and me to their house to spend the night. Trey needed to be sewed up and everything checked out to make sure that nothing vital had been damaged.

Trey stayed there a few more days and then was able to come home. The root miraculously went in at such an angle that it missed puncturing anything more than his skin. Everything eventually calmed down and we were able to get back to our normal lives. That was one of the most intense moments of my life. I will never forget that day because it was very impacting to my life. I have learned how to not take things for granted. I look at my brother differently and care for him more because I know that I could have lost him that day. Not only do I look at my brother that way, but my family, friends, and other things. Things such as bikes and dirt hills for example.

Similar Articles


This article has 0 comments.

Parkland Book